Is pulling kiddo from school for 1 day really horrible?

my husband and I are disagreeing on this. I say let's do it, he thinks it's bad. We have to travel (my DH and I) about 4 hours away to nearest big city 'cuz I destroyed my knee and the surgeon who fixed it years ago wants to see it again. Son (Kindergartner) would either come with us and we'd make it a fun family time (pool at hotel, eat at the rainforest cafe, etc) or he stays w/ grandma and attends school as usual. I say 1 day is not end of world, especially if we get his worksheets ahead of time and make him do them.

OH - husband slightly jaded since son is in private school ... so he sees dollar signs. (we're paying for a day he's not being educated) ... hubby and I will be staying overnight regardless because my appt. includes xrays and an MRI so will be too pooped to drive home safely

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• take him out and enjoy the day!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I will probably be bashed for this but I don't think pulling him from school for just one day while he's in kindergarden is a big deal, I doubt 5 yrs ago he'll remember what he had learned that day, but he'll probably remember the fun mini-vacation with his mom and dad
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Mini vacation with his Mom & Dad is probably more important and more exciting! Unless Daddy wants a mini honeymoon?
    MomofJJS

Answer by MomofJJS at 6:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Maybe your DH is making an excuse to get you to himself for a day away.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my son is in kindergarten - our doctors offices are 3 hours away .. we always pull him out.. we have no choice. actually next saturday my daughter has a dance competitioin an it starts at 8am .. 3 hours away.. we have to leave thursday we have no choice to take him..

i think if he missed one day it will be okay!! it would be nice to get out an have a fun time!! just do it!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I meant 5 yrs from now
    Lucky209

• Take him out.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Missing one day of school is NOT going to ruin his education. My son is 7 1/2 and in first grade and we've done the same thing, not for the same reasons, as you are talking about.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have taken a day with my kids and pulled them out of school to go shopping. I dont think he will be completely ruined lol.

Answer by gemgem at 6:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I say pull him for the day. Life is to freakin short and you will cherish this memory with him:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011