My 3 year old son won't stop touching himself!

I have no idea what to do about this problem. I understand he is young and curious, but he is touching his penis all the time and I'm constantly telling him to stop. He is 3 years old, and I think he should be learning not to by now, but he just isn't listening. I'm not sure what to do about this situation. I don't want to traumatize him or anything. Does anybody else have this problem? What do you do about it?

yungmamma5488

Asked by yungmamma5488 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you checked to make sure there is no infection or irritaion? And, it could be something he'll outgrow. Just keep telling him to stop it.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's normal. When my sons started doing this, I just always let them know its fine to do but its something that has to be done when you're alone only.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son is five but he started doing this around 3 also, i talked to his dr about it and decied that it was best to get them not to do it public..and it he wanted to touch him self, I told him that is something he does in private of his room. so he would go to his room and shut his door and i would knock to check on him. you dont want to tell him that it is not normal but its part of his body.
    lovebeingmrs

Answer by lovebeingmrs at 6:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Its normal! My son is two and is wildly amazed by his boy parts! lol...If im in a diaper change, I tell him to move his hands so I can close his diaper and keep it moving! I dont make it a big deal!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's normal.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Totally normal hun, once they find their penis, the fascination never ends, don't tell him "no" it might send the wrong message, check to see there is nothing wrong, ask him if it itches or feels weird.

Answer by older at 7:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Is he intact or circumsized? It makes a difference for a couple reasons. If intact he may be starting to retract and that is perfectly fine and normal but annoying. If he is cut then there could be adhesions that are bothering him. With either there could be infection issues so you need to check on that. If none of the above then don't worry since it is perfectly normal. My son is 6 years old and I simply told/tell him that is something that is done in private and he needs to go to his room or the bathroom to do it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It's normal. Just tell him that it's fine but is something that should be done in private and if he wants to look at/touch himself he needs to go in his room.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I agree with the ladies who've said to tell him not to do it in front of others...my dd was very curious about herself for a while and that's what we told her...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 9:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my son is six and he still dose this... hell so do most grown men every time they adjust their pants thats what they r doing lol.

seriously though I just tell my son that that is something u need to do in private. Its ok to do but he shouldn't do it around others because that is his private parts. Just keep reminding him. I still need to some times.
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011