Is this wildly inappropriate or am I just p***ed because I'm pregnant and sensitive to it?!

So my doctor used to be the only OB in his practice, and I LOVED knowing that HE would be the one that delivered me. Now he has moved to an office with several other doctors, and they want me to meet with each of them for at least one prenatal visit in case one of the other doctors delivers me.

Well, I met with one for the first time yesterday, and basically we talked about how I have gained too much weight. And I have gained quite a bit. Well, I told him that I am a recovering bulimic, that knowing that I am gaining the weight is really starting to get to me and make me want to resort back to my old ways, but I haven't.

Anyway, when I laid back to do the heartbeat, I said I have been getting pressure on my pubic bone and kind of pushed on the bone right below my belly to show him where...he literally GRABBED my thigh fat and told me that "this is part of it...gaining to much weight puts too much pressure on your ligaments, it makes your body think you're having twins or something."

I swear to god, I am not a violent person, but I nearly jumped off the table and whooped his 400lbs ASS.

And then, I cried all the way home. I seriously did not need someone to grab my flab and tell me I was getting huge when I JUST told him I have battled with bulimia my entire life.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My suggestion would be to address this specifically to the dr. who you want to deliver you. Bring up his collegues behavior, how it affected you emotionally, and state that you refuse to be seen by him. Also mention that if you go into labor and he's on call that you will not have him delivering your child nor anywhere around your room. I would also have suggest having your husband or baby's father, if he is around, confront the doc about his behavior and mention that he appologize to you.
    GOOD LUCK! I am sickened that a doctor would behave that way. Don't feel bad about the weight. I gained between 70 and 100 lbs with all three of my pregnancies and it was really hard. I'm working on losing the weight from the last one and he's almost 3 months old. I was able to get back down to a healthy and attractive weight after my other two so it can be done. Embrace your beautiful body. You are beautiful just how you are!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 7:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No thats bad. Let me give you some advice. I had a doctor who shared an office also with 4 othr Drs. One of them made me cry also and my husband went to the office manager and told them how bad he made me feel and that I was NOT to EVER see the man again, nor was he to deliver the baby. Period. We were apologized to and I didnt have to see him again. When I went into the hospital he was on call LOL. My dh made him call another dr because of our complaint and they did come in. You DO NOT have to put up with anything that makes you in the least uncomfortable. I would have told him quite a few things if in fact he is 400 lbs as well, like "Youre body must think youre having Triplets"/

Answer by gemgem at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'd have beat his ass too. What a JERK!!! You DO have the right to deny ANYONE in your hospital room, including the doctor.

When I was pregnant with my son I found out in my third trimester that the doctor I'd been seeing all pregnancy did not deliver, ever. That was the last time I saw her. Here *I* was building a relationship/rapport with a doctor only to find out that she wasn't going to be anywhere near me when I needed her to catch my baby. I've told everyone I know not to go to that clinic.

Big Hugs and hope all turns out well! And Congrats on overcoming bulimia, I know it can be hard to do!!!!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Way out of line. I would file a complaint with his office and with the hospital for which he works. I would consider switching practices. It was way over the line. I'd also look into filing a complaint for harassment with the state and/or his licensing agency. (If he is board certified, you can complain to the board.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 7:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• no, that was really insensitive of him to say. Hang in there! Congrats on the baby btw!
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Wow... that's pretty horrible. He handled the issue of gaining too much weight... HORRIBLY. Sorry you had to go through that.. i would make sure he isn't the one to deliver you! Congrats on the baby and good luck!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 6:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would be telling YOUR OB what he did. He shouldn't have touched you at all. That was highly inappropriate.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• That was incredibly insensitive, I don't think your over reacting at all. I would be really upset too! So sorry you had to deal with that.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would have been mad as well I understand them trying to get you at a healthier weight for you and your baby but why in the H3LL would he say it like that right after you told him you used to be bulimic.. What the Heck.. I'm so sorry you had to deal with an A$$ like that.. I hope you dont have to deal with him ever again and I would talk to your other Dr about what happened
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i would have put him in his place. you are PAYING to see him therefore he should be nicer.if he was the one on call the night i was in labor i would refuse! i would refuse to give that man another penny!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011