What age is the right age??? A matter of when to stop breastfeeding :/

My son is 8 months old....I initially wanted to breastfeed him until he was a year old, and then transition him to a sippy cup. I have him on a water cup since he has started solids (and I never did the bottle). He loves his cup when he eats....But there is nothing like the boo boo (breast)....He laughs when he gets it--he loves to nurse, and I love nursing him. I think my baby and I would be devastated to stop nursing (or at least that's what I can predict at the moment). I have to admit I am a bit nervous about what other friends and family might say about me continuing nursing after a year :(

When did you stop nursing/or do you plan to stop nursing?? What age is the right age???

Any tips of transitioning to weaning???

Did anyone just night nurse their baby??? If so, How did you keep him/her from wanting to nurse during the day??

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 6:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The right age is whatever works for the two of you. My son is 2 1/2 yrs. old and still nursing.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• whatever is comfy for both of you is the right time...my daughter stopped at 8 months b/c she bit me 3 times to the point of bleeding. It wasn't a positive experience for us anymore. We just went to nursing at night to wean and that was it. She continued to have breastmilk until 13 months old b/c I pumped. Do what is right for you...if you both love it, then it doesn't seem like anyone is ready to stop :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• There is no "right" age, in general. It's more of what's right for YOU. AAP recommends 12 mos, and after that, for as long as both mom/baby wish to continue. WHO recommends 24 mos, and again, for as long as both wish to continue after that. I nursed my first until about 14 mos, and my second is 3 1/2, and still nurses at bedtime.

Don't worry about what others think. Weaning tips...if you nurse until baby decides to stop, you don't need to do a thing. If you decide to wean sooner then that, just drop one nursing session per week until done. If you stop before 12 mos, REPLACE one session with formula per week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I wanted to nurse until my son was one also. However My job schedual was messing with my milk supply i ended up weening at 6mnths my son did very well i wuz very lucky. I still pumped and nursed a little. using a bottle that is VERY soft and resembles a nipple will help wiht the transition. I used playtex dropins :D good luck mommy
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Personally I'd wean from BF about the same time you'd wean from a bottle/formula. If the baby shouldn't have a bottle then being on the breast is no different. There is no right or wrong answer to this... it's all about what works for you and your family!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I nursed my dau until she was about 14 mos old, and then just at night until she was about 2 y/o. Weaning was easy b/c she did it on her own when she had a head cold. She was so stuffed up, she just couldnt nurse. After a couple of nights, she was weaned. As to what others think, it's really none of their business. Ours is the only country that makes nursing seem like something dirty that needs to be hidden & only done for a short time, if at all. Women in other countries nurse much longer w/out the ridicule. Enjoy this healthy, bonding experience as long as you want to. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• at 6 months. I wouldnt do it for too long since the issue of stopping will be greater for your baby the older he or she gets.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The right age is what feels right for you and your family. My first weaned himself while I was pregnant and he was 18 months old. My second weaned herself at 35 months old, but it had been pretty much just night time and nap time since she hit about 27 months old. There are MANY benefits to extended nursing and both the AAP and WHO recommend nursing AT LEAST 6 months and there after until either party decides to quit. Check my journal posts for an interesting article about age of weaning and how we compare with other primates. According to that data anywhere from 2-7 years is when we should wean based on things like head size and percent of adult weight etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would say a year. Wow 2 and a half and 3 year olds nursing sorry but i strongly disagree with that. It is your choice but would you want your 3 year old sucking on your boob?
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• its all what feels right to you, i stopped when he was 11 months but i was ready and he was fine with it but he also had a bottle at daycare when i was working so i think the weaning was easier because of that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011