If government shuts down, so would troop pay

U.S. troops could be required to report to work without pay if a budget clash in Congress results in a government-wide shutdown, according to draft planning guidance circulating in the Pentagon. A shutdown could happen as early as next week, as the government is set to run out of money at midnight March 17.
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Like theydon't pay them hardly enough already now they want to pay them NOTHING!? WOW. Complete fuckin bullshit.

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 7:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It is a complete Govt shut down, obviously they wouldnt get paid.

Answer by gemgem at 7:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/26/news/economy/shutdown_faq/index.htm

Troops get paid. That is one of the services that run on 'autopilot'. There are only, really, a few things that do stop. It isn't like the gov't grinds to a halt. That would put us at a huge risk. Only the non-essential stops. I've been through this before. I don't remember noticing that much. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• well it said troops and my husband is a soldier in the army. and it says Pay stops at midnite march 17th and could miss a paycheck. we better not cuz my husband wont go to work if they wont pay him. he already told me so. and someone better pay my bills.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i really hope that doesnt happen, because i doubt the cable, phone, and car ins. will care and i doubt the commissary is going to be giving us our food for free.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• [Will troops overseas get the resources they need? Yes. While some Pentagon activities would stop, it would continue many other operations necessary for the safety of human life and protection of property.

In a statement to CNNMoney, a Pentagon spokeswoman said, "We will do everything we have to do to continue to support the deployed troops."] from link.

They will not have military funerals though. That will have to wait.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• JESSE123456- you still dont get it. my husband is in the army and he will not get paid. any of the links u sent does not say troops will keep getting paid. it only says they will remain open. work with out pay is a no no here. so just cuz he goes to work does not mean he will get paid. army times says they wont get paid. your sources are not real to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• They will be "back paid"

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• "Troops would miss a payday only if the shutdown continues through April 1." and IF ( big IF, by the way, so don't jump to conclusions) they shut down past April 1, then they would receive back pay.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011