Calling all tithe-ing Christians!

I've having a hard time justifying tithing lately. Money is tight and we have cut back on pretty much everything we can. I want to tithe, but that small chunk turns into a big chunk when I look at my bank account. Please no bashing. I'm struggling in my faith, so I don't need any meanies pushing me further away. I just need to be reminded that I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Recently I went to a Financial Freedom Seminar at our church, led by our Pastor. He said tithing is important but you can do it not just through money but by doing other things for the church.
    I also took from it as a Christian do NOT live in any debt. Until you are not living in debt (which most are in some way) your money is not yours but to those you owe money too & it should not be given to the church.. (always bring a "clean" offering)...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have struggled in the same thoughts. Continue to tithe and be rewarded. Remember the parable of the rich man who gave his tithes and the poor widow who gave her last coins.....
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Do what you can and God will bless your faithfulness. Sometimes we have to do the really hard things and then the blessings will come pouring in. Tithing is really difficult for us, too. But, we know that only real obedience will give us joy. And think of all the people that have less than you and the ways that your church reaches out to the community. The Lord's work is worth the investment.
    littleflower101

Answer by littleflower101 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• God tells us in Malachi to test Him,and see if He won't reward our faithfulness in tithing. That's enough for me. I used to go to church with an elderly couple, they had always done the opposite of what God asked. Instead of giving 10%,and using the 90%, they gave the 90%,and trusted God to provide for their needs with the 10%. Guess what? They raised 8 kids in the great depression doing that, all survived, NEVER went without a meal,or a roof over their heads, he ALWAYS had a job to provide, and they never missed anything. THAT is a true testimony of trusting in that verse in Malachi. I strive to become that faithful,and pray someday I can.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have no idea what titheing is, I would guess it's something like the collections plate. I think if it's something that causes you or your family to go without then it's not a good thing. Take care of your family first because that's what needs to be taken care of, before giving any money away.

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 8:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Take care of your family. Do you really think God wants you to go without?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2011