Why do kids talk to themselves?

My daugher is almost 3 and daughter talks to her self almost all day long. She will have normal conversations and there are the ones where she yells at herself and gets herself in trouble. She will even physically hurt herself.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im 43 and still talk to myslef... I guess I process better if I hear it.
    I dont usually do this in public... but have caught myself.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Lol- I talk to myself too. I catch myself doing it all the time... I also re-play old conversations too.. weird I know!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Have you talked to your dr. yet?
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• my daughter is almost 4 and will sings songs instead of 'talking' i think its really cute.. my 5 an 2 year old dont talk to themselves tho..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If she's physically hurting herself, there's definitely something wrong. Otherwise it's just her expressing her imagination. But since she's hurting herself, I'd say go talk to a doctor.

SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 8:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I talk to myself as well...
    But I would try to talk to her about hurting herself.. (is she talking to herself or an imaginary friend)..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I talk to myself as well. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My 3 yo hold has conversations with herself all the time. Now hurting herself is another thing. Is it out of frustration or as part of her "play". I have known young kids that will hit there heads against walls in frustration or anger. At 3 communication is the greatest. I would start teaching your child what to do when she is angry or frustrated. And modeling behavior (show her yourself). You could ask her, she may be able to help you understand why she is hurting herself. If after awhile she doesn't seem to be improving I would see a behaviorist, or try head start. This would give you some clues as to why, and what to do from someone who as observed your daughter.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• For the same reason adults talk to themselves. It's simply a way to externalize thought. For people who are auditory learners it's a much easier way to process thought.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• It could also be pretend play. I would pretend tell stories or act out situations verbally when I was a kid. As long as shes not withdrawn from wanting to have actual human interaction I wouldn't worry about it.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2011