Question for Jehovah's Witnesses...

Okay, so I was raised JW, but this is a question that I simply don't have an answer to, and I would like one!

I know JWs don't believe that people HAVE a soul, but rather that people ARE a soul. So how does that work with the 144,000 who will go to heaven? If they are a soul rather than having one, what goes to heaven?

Not trying to be an ass, I just forgot to ask my mother when I talked to her & this came to me the other day...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know, but I have a question - if only 144,000 gets to go to heaven, aren't those spots filled already? There are a lot of ppl . Not being a smartass here, just always wondered
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 7:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• the 144,000 refers to the Jewish who are considered God's Chosen People. These were promised entry under a covenant in the old testament. This does not include the multitudes of other believers.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No, it's not a first come first serve kind of thing. It's a position which is earned. Everyone else with be resurrected to a paradise earth after Armageddon. I don't have the scriptures at my finger tips, but I'm sure someone can give them to you.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The body and the soul are different!Gen 2:7- jehovah god begin to form the man out of dust from the ground and blow into ihis nostrils the breath of life, the man came to be a living soul. hope i answer right!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I was taught that man IS the soul, not that he HAS a soul. And I just looked it up on the watchtower.org and that's what that says too... So my question is if it's the total person rather than a spirit which survives beyond the body, WHAT or WHO goes to heaven?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I did not know that JW's believed that man IS the soul. I am interested in learning more about the 144,000. What are the orgins of said number? This is cool
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• pnwmom - the number comes out of Revelations.

Rev 14:1

Then I looked, and behold, on Mount Zion stood the Lamb, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.

Rev. 14: 3-5
    And they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. For it is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb, and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I believe that the body is different from the soul! Without the soul the body is dead but with the soul it becomes a living person! i am gong to research liltle more
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Patience, Here is what the Watchtower Society says: "Genesis 2:7 states: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” The first man, Adam, was a soul."

Meaning they were NOT two different things.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Difficult to answer because the problem with their interpretation of that Scripture is language and meaning. The 144,000 is 12,000 out of 12 tribes of Judah but the JW's claim that their anointed are part of that group symbolically. Here is the problem: It can't be both: It is either a literal 144,000 (12 x 12,000 Jews) or figurative people ( JW anointed - Spiritual Jews) In the language the scripture has to be one or the other Either literal 144,000 or figurative Jews.

As for what/who goes to heaven, JW's believe in a glorified spiritual body (soul) rather than an actual bodily resurrection as taught by Jesus.
    TKDyer

Answer by TKDyer at 12:08 PM on Mar. 12, 2011