When did you start taking your kids to the parades?

At what age was your child when they went to their first parade? What age is to young?

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it completely depends on the individual child and whether the chaos and noise would frighten him or her. Some kids will freak out about it, while others really enjoy the excitement.
    What kind of temperament does your child have?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• He startles at times, but if he is asleep, then he ain't waking up no matter how loud things get.
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• But is he a "quiet" kid, or one who loves action, noise, and excitement? Does he dig a rowdy party or is he more at ease at home, quietly playing with toys and maybe one friend?
    Both of my daughters fall into more of the "quiet" category, so we held off a little longer on the super-exciting noisy events til they were a little older. But some kids love that kind of stuff right off the bat. You know your child best--if he's not high-strung, perhaps he would enjoy such an event. Maybe for his first parade you can just be prepared to leave early if needed.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter was about 3 and a half months old or 4 months I can't remember. She was awake for some of it and loved it. we rubbed a sucker on her gums and tongue and she enjoyed that. I think it depends on if you feel comfortable with it or not to be honest.
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 8:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My oldest was born May 17th, we took him to the July 4th parade that same year. Weather permitting there is no such thing as too young.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I don't see why you couldn't take them at any age. I think they would start enjoying all of the movement, colors, people, music, etc... as an infant. We did everything as a family from day one.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My daughter was 6 months old when we took her to a Mardi Gras parade in Baton Rouge. Oh, and a lot of Mardi Gras parades are family friendly. They aren't all Girls Gone Wild. Haha.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No age is too young really. Depending on the weather of course. My son's first parade was last years Gay Pride parade, and I will take him every year. Also i want to take him to Parade the Circle and all kinds of parades.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm from a small town where we have parades in the summer. They're family freindly, and kids go basically from birth. they're very enjoyable for all of us. now, we live in a big city, and there is none, so we go back "home" every summer for the parades. My son loves that the floats throw out candy! My favorite part is at the begining when the vets and flag walk. EVERYONE stands, it's quiet, and everyone shows such pride and respect. It's beautiful to see.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2011