Would you medicate your baby if he had 4 seizures?

My 8 month old son has had 4 seizures in a months time. We've had all the tests eeg, mri, ct scan, blood work...all normal. The seizures started when he turned 6 months old and seem to go along with an illness or emerging tooth. All seizures have happened in the early hrs of the morn...between 4 and 8. They all have awakened me from my sleep. (he makes a weird sound that wakes me up). They seizures last about 2 minutes. The neurologist wants me to start a medicine called keppra. he would be on it for 2 to 3 years. I haven't started the meds yet. his last seizure was a month ago. Has anyone ever had a baby with seizures that they didn't medicate? i'm afraid to start the meds...what if that's all the seizures he ever has? Would you medicate?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are they related to fevers? (febrile seizures)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Thats a really hard queston to answer but if the doc says he needs it then I will
    lovinmy4babys

Answer by lovinmy4babys at 8:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Why did you go to a neurologist and get your child examined and ask for their advice and medical opinion and disregard it? I don't understand when your child has a serious medical condition and then you would consider disregarding their recommendations for helping your baby. Would you not give your child medication if they had strep throat or an ear infection? Yes, I would medicate if someone with that expertise told me it would benefit my child and improve their quality of life. My daughter's classmate died because of a seizure. Why are you afraid to start the meds? I'm confused.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 3 an started having seziures in december. all her tests were normal too. my daughter usually gets home at school and during dance class... not sure the last one was at school but she has them during dance class a lot (2 weeks ago was the last one)... she has a different type of seizures - not the laying on the floor ones.. but they were going to give her keppra but decided to give her triptel (sp)..she hasnt started it yet - next week. she would also be on it for a couple years.. i plan on giving it to my daughter.

its up to you what you decide!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No fever.
    MaMaMo531

Comment by MaMaMo531 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You could always get a second opinion if you are not totally sure.
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 8:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Chances are I would first explore every other avenue. However, if I felt that was my one and only option, yes, I would medicate him. I prefer non-medicative answers to health conditions, but sometimes medication IS the best option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son started having seziure about the time he turned 1 and we saw every doctor we could and they wanted to medicate him but i didnt give it to him and he will be 3 in june and hasnt had one in about 8 months
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 9:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Maybe. I would definitely get at least 2-3 opinions on this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• When I was younger I had seizures a lot. My parents DIDN'T put me on medication until I was going to school. However, that was the 90s.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 9:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2011