Is tylenon pm ok while you are pregnant?

i don't necessarily care for my doc and he said benadryl for sleepless ness. but benadryl doesn't make me sleepy. he also didn't care when i told him i went a week with out a bowel movement and when i do have one i am in severe pain. i'm talking about on the verge of needing to go to the ER type pain. any help would be appreciated. can't change docs because we are military and on a military base.

mrs.trial

Asked by mrs.trial at 8:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Health

• you can take stool softener over the counter, Docusate Sodium same as Colace. Double check with the pharmacist on the safety of meds during pregnancy.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Colace is safe during pregnancy. I was told to take it everyday. It is a stool softener and not a laxative. Drink plenty of water too. I think Tylenol PM is safe but I would ask a dr about that or a pharmacist.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I just bought myself some prunes to help keep me "going"...bad constipation here too in the first trimester.
    I would also make sure you are hydrated...drinking lots of water and fruit juice might help.

I avoid drugs when I can, and 9/10 tea or the right food helps what is off balance.

Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 9:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Wow, gotta love when people tell you how to poop when you ask about something else!

Anyway, I was told to take Tylenol PM because it was about the other safe thing for both pain & sleep - but I also just found out the "sleep aid" part of it is the same ingredient that benadryl is - so if benadryl doesn't make you sleepy the Tylenol pm might not work for you either. No harm in trying it, just don't overdo it and don't take it every night.
    Anonymous

• My doc gave me a list of all the meds that i could take during my pregnancy.. maybe you could call another doctor and get that list (if yours doesn't have.. or for some reason wont give it to you) since you can't just switch doctors. I'm pretty sure that i took tylenol pm during my pregnancy. But always check with your doc! Sorry you are stuck with one that isn't as involved as he should be. I hope thingswork out for you.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 9:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No you can not take teylenol P.M. while you are pregnant. You may want to consider changing doctors.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 9:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Tequila works better JK!! Remember too much Tylenol is BAD for the liver!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 9:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• yes you can. i took it every night of my last trimester. it's only tylenol with a little benadryl in it. i needed it. no side effects
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i took it, it worked. hopefully with no side effects to the baby. i slept the best i have in a while. and was up at 6:20! which is awesome since i usually have really restless nights and sleep til 10 or later. for the lady who said no you can not take it can you give me a reason why? it won't be a usual, but it was good for one night. hey at least it wasn't tequila. ha
    mrs.trial

Comment by mrs.trial (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yay, glad it worked for you! It's fine for the baby if you don't abuse it, which you don't sound like you'll be doing ;).
    Anonymous