Can a doctor do something like this without your permission?

I took my child to the hospital because he had swelling in his penis. Mr. Eduardo Bolumen was the doctor. He at no moment told me he was the doctor when he walked in the room. I thought he was another nurse! He asked what was wrong and proceeded to undress my child very ruffly. When he took off his diaper he said nothing to me, grabbed antiseptic poured some on his genitals and proceeded to forcefully retract his foreskin. Never told me what was wrong, never asked if this is what I wanted to do! It all happened so fast! My son screamed, at the top of his lungs, and I pulled his hands off my son and he continued to do it!....THis man never informed me of what he was about to do, never told me anything, and dispite me begging him to stop and literally pulling his hands off my child he continued! I am seeking legal advice. I am very upset by how this was done Is anyone here a doctor? Is this normal, can he do that?

flowerchild56xo

Asked by flowerchild56xo at 1:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Aw, poor baby! And to the anonymous - no health care pros recommend circ, EVER. http://www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    The forskin isn't even supposed to be able to be pulled back until puberty!! I would totally seek legal action.
    Good luck!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Wow, that's BS. I would do something for sure. I'm sure there is someone at the hospital to contact.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I would be pissed. OMG!! your poor baby, I would start by having a fit with the office you were seen at and then contact a lawyer. As far as your son, I would take him to another doctor to make sure he is ok, find out what was done, and see what their opinion is about the whole thing.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• that is completey rude. Dr's can be very rude! My sone had a problem like this and the Dr did it very fast, but very easy. My son did cry, poor guy I know it hurt, BUT it had to be done. His forskin had grown back and had a pus build up (thank god no infection!!!) He gave me some ointment to help keep it from happening and had to put it on often just to "loob" it it so it couldn't heal that way again. On your ?...I would do something! He should have told you what was up and what he was about to do and why. I don't see anything being able to be done about it...Dr's have damn good lawers...but you should at the very least make a HUGE stink up at the Hospital! Good luck!
    MomAubrey

Answer by MomAubrey at 1:50 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• If he's wearing a diaper, odds are he's young enough his foreskin shouldn't be retracted, unless its able to on its own. It amazes and saddens me that in this day and time not every doctor is yet aware of proper foreskin care and treatment.

I would be suing his pants off. I'm so sorry you've had to experience this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I did contact the hospital and am still waiting for a response (this happened this morning at around 1 am....) His doctor always told me there was no need to do this...To just clean what is seen!.....I did cause a show but not like I would have liked! I was too in shock and I still feel horrible! I just look at him and he is in so much pain especially when he goes to the bathroom.....
    flowerchild56xo

Answer by flowerchild56xo at 2:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Best thing to do, no matter what your plans are, is get him to a different doctor ASAP. That way, he can be checked out, to make sure no damage was done (and I'm sure if you explain, the new doctor will NOT touch the area). This can also help you if you do need to proceed with legal action. Something similar happened to us wih our son. One doc was very rough and ripped his foreskin. His new doctor doesn't touch it at all and says there is no need to. Please, take him to another doctor, if you can. Good Luck.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:16 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• WOW! I would have slapped the man...I don't think I could have controled myself if someone was intentionally hurting my child...and that's what it sounds like. It sounds like the DR had a rough day and took it out on your little man. I would raise a big stink with the hospital, get a lawyer, and contact the news. What he did was wrong and you and your son deserve an apology.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My god I'm so sorry! Your poor baby.. and you too! I would definitely sue AND check into having his license revoked.
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 6:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• It also sounds like he is very pro circ or anti foreskin. However you want to look at it. I've heard of doctors being pissed off and thinking it's terrible parents didn't circ their babies. It doesn't just sound like he was misinformed about taking care of the foreskin - it sounds like he was being vengeful. Again, I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that and I really hope no damage was done. Please keep me updated!
    sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 8:28 PM on Nov. 23, 2008