Low Income

Do you have friends who live in 6 bedroom houses, have 3 cars, and the most up to date cellphones etc.
And feel bad that you are the only one among them that lives in an apartment, without a car, working at Wal-Mart and only have 100 bucks left for food for a month after bills are paid??

That's me...and I'm wondering how others might deal with it, going out with these friends and realize they are buying food for themselves at the mall, along with new shoes, clothes etc...and your stomach is growling but feel bad asking them to share...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I share all of the time and would not go out with someone who does not share.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I find it easier to have friends in my own social class. We all have at least 3 kids, are SAHM's with working husbands, and are usually always all too broke to do much of anything. It works for us.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Honestly, in this area there is no such thing as a house with 6 bedrooms. My DH just landed one of the best jobs in the entire area - making $10 an hour!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Oooh wonderful for you!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• We have a nice house and don't really want much, but we also live on a very strict budget. We buy what we need, not what we want at all. We hardly ever go out to eat, I haven't bought new clothes (other than a few maternity pieces lately) in about a year, I shop at yard sales, and we are ALWAYS telling our friends that "it's not in the budget" so we can't go do something or go out to eat. It's hard sometimes, but we're just trying to stay out of debt and, while it's tough, it's worth it in the end I think.

Just try to remember that sometimes they may have nice things and live lavishly, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily any happier or not in a ton of debt.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Money does not equal happiness.
    That said, if you are having trouble buying groceries, there is assistance available for the short term. For the long term, take the time and energy you are putting into envy, and put it into improving your situation: improve your job skills, cut your spending, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm a teen mom and most of my friends live with there parents and have big houses. I recently got my own house in the chicago area with the help of my mom, my earnings and my old college saving money. Its a really tiny house but it's my own and I feel proud about myself for having it. Think about what you do have not what you don't have and feel proud about that.
    LadyLili

Answer by LadyLili at 7:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I always look at my blessings no matter how life is at the time. That's how it was for me working a 9-to-5. Then I began working from home. I couldn't be happier! But yes, I completely understand that feeling, and how I dealt with it was I pretty much didn't go out with anyone. Lol.
    Number.1.Mom

Answer by Number.1.Mom at 12:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• DH has a couple friends like that, but we look at it this way- how much debt are they going into to have all those nice things? DH and I are pretty much debt free, with just a low car payment and your regular utilities. I don't feel we are 'poor' or struggling, but it does feel awkward sometimes when the people around us are blowing money left and right, and we are being responsible and saving our money for other things.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• True friends would understand your situation.  If it were me I would share with you if we were out.  Maybe  find other activities besides shopping and such to do.  I would tell them your situation, and if they stick around they are friends.  I wouldn't look to much at what they are spending.  I wonder how much of it are they in debt for and still paying on credit cards for.  Keep paying your bills, and if you wish to continue the friendship, invite them over for a game night and potluck dinner or finger foods.

Dakee

Answer by Dakee at 11:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011