My son is scared of potty training.. any help out there??

so my son is almost 2 1/2 and im having trouble establishing potty training. My son goes to daycare and his teacher is training the kids so my son peed once on the toliet but missed it and wet his clothes. ever since then he refused to try to even sit on the toilet. His pee pee is an innie so it does not go inside the toliet. the daycare contines to put him on the potty but with no avail. so im torn between asking them to try standing up or to take off my sons diaper and put him in underwear and see what happens. or maybe even he just isnt ready. he holds his urine until one or two times. thanks for your thoughts.

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 9:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd try him standing at home and try the cherrios method..lol put a few in the toilet and see if he can "shot them" it may help if daddy helps with an example..lol Also, for poopy, I had what i called "poopy candy" (weird i know)lol i limited my sons chocolate to poopy times and if he went on the potty he got "poopy candy" We used the little chocolates they sell in hearts on valentines day for the kids but any kind can work. He liked the filled kind best. He may not be ready, i'd always encourage it but don't push too much it could be a set back. Get him excited about "big boy underwear" that may help? Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Before you go from sitting on the toilet to standing use my method, I had him sit still but I turned him around so he faces the back of the toilet instead. They think its funny so they love it, plus they get to pee like daddy and it teaches them that they should pee like that when they stand
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 4:02 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Standing and doing target practice was a big hit and got new interest in the potty. I would let the school do what they are doing and try it at home and then ask them to change methods if you see success. I did a great deal of "marketing" the potty idea with videos. The one Bear in the Big Blue House does a whole part about how accidents are ok sounds like your son made one mistake and he's set the bar too high for himself. :-) . I don't think any one child is the same, but just keep trying (not too much pressure) and one day you'll find the groove.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 14, 2011