Any easy ways to put an infant to bed?

She's one week old and I can just not get her to sleep.

LadyLili

Asked by LadyLili at 9:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put hew down awake & drowsy to start an early association between the crib and sleep. don't let her fall asleep in your arms or she'll expect to always sleep in your arms & will want to be cuddled back to sleep & give you a hard time setting her down. i learned that three times over the hard way.

putting baby to sleep is hard for most mommies. you just need to feel it out. she's just a week old. it'll take a little longer to know what she likes & how she likes it.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Well, its a parenting choice. But at that age I would rock my son until he fell asleep. I know some women will put their week old down and let them cry it out. At some point, I promise you, your child will sleep. GL.

Also, I know a lot of moms say to not let them fall asleep while you're feeding them ... but I did it quite a few times so I could get some much needed sleep!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 9:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I would rock her.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• At a week old you have a long way to go to get a schedule going, for that young even I would rock her and I do not believe in starting bad habits. but that young, you do WHATEVER works and then as she gets older a mth or so you will realize when she falls asleep and you can lay her down before that happens. I kept a log of everything with my 2nd son to see a pattern develop and went by that. At a week old she WILL sleep, maybe she isn't eating enough, that alone should make her tired. just give her time. Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• umm she is a week old what do u expect. either rock her to sleep or cosleep with her. you can wear her(get a sling) or put her in the swing or the bouncy chair (vibration helps)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I slept on the couch with my dd until she was a little older than 1 month i would just sleep when she slept and at about 1 and a half monthes she started sleeping through the night and i just started putting her in her basinet. It was easy for her to sleep there because she learned to trust me and knew if she cried i was right there. Letting a kid cry it out at that age is mean and they learn to not really trust that your gonna get them when they need you and they will be alot more clingy later on
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I nursed my daughter to sleep and still do.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I always coslept and nursed or rocked to sleep at that age, though newborns often also just fall asleep in places like the bouncie chair or swing, even in the crib if you just lay them sometimes. It all depends on YOU and BABY, you have to figure out what you want, and what works for your family.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Babies are hard wired to not be left alone, so with a newborn it is usually best to nurse/hold/rock to sleep. If you are breastfeeding co-sleeping can be a real life saver!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Putting them down awake doesn't always involve letting them cio. If they are very drowsy when you lay them down, there is usually extremely minimal fussing if any at all. At a week old, they should never be left to cio and I don't think anyone would suggest that. Swaddling helps, I always put a small blanket that I wore under my shirt when my babies were awake in their crib when they were going to sleep so they would have my scent, and some type of "noise" (we used a heartbeat bear, but a white noise machine or a classical CD works well too).

Answer by missanc at 8:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2011