Do you think that just because your doctor has an MD that means he/she knows your body better?

I personally think that the MD may know a lot but when it comes to your body no one knows your body better thanyourself and what you are capable of. many doctors think that just because they have the MD and you don't they know better than you. I don't htink that is true in all cases. Sorry.

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I sure as hell dont think he or she does. I'm also sick of doctors handing stuff over that has really bad side effects.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I believe you know your body better; but they know more about medicine, diseases,etc. That's why I think it is very important for people to make sure they work together with their doctors, pharmacist, etc. You gotta be your own patient advocate, educate yourself, know what your doctor is prescribing you and side effects, if it doesn't work discuss it with your doctor. If doctor doesn't cooperate with you, find a new one.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No. No one knows my body better than me..well, except for my Husband. hehe. ;D But some doctors think they know everything just because the are called Dr. (insert name here).
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Why would you ask that? Absolutely not. I might have complete trust in my Dr., had he been my Dr. from the moment I was born, but unfortunately, that doesn't happen these days. I don't think I've seen the same Dr. for longer than five years since I was a child at least. Besides, working in the health care field for many years, I know that Dr.'s are human.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have doctors that have told me they know better. Food for thought I guess. I know people that say that thier doctor knows best because of the schooling and such. BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Baby4us09

Comment by Baby4us09 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• exactly doctors are human and i too work the health care field and there are ALOT of mistakes made so if there is something wrong with you and you know it and ur doc just wants to give you pain meds etc u need to find a new doc.....NEVER trust a doctor! always get a second opinion exp if you think there is something wrong or more too it
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 9:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think it takes a cooperative mindset. Only you know what your experiencing but the doctors have the knowledge base to narrow down what it could mean. My doctor doesn't know how my body responds to my period like I do but he certainly knows more about the physiological/hormonal changes going on and how that can affect every aspect of my health for example.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Hell No! I'm living proof that most doctors are clueless at their jobs! Yes doctors are humans and make mistakes, but from my experience most don't care what the consequences to those mistakes are. This is such a touchy topic with me, so I'm going to shut up before I go on a rampage. But I will say that just because they have a diploma hanging on the wall, does not mean they are experts or know better than you do.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 10:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have that probelm with my kids doctor she thinks she know my kids better then me and she pisses me off I can not take my husband with me to her office cuz last time he yelled at them, my youngest had RSV and his O2 stats were in the 80's and they sent him to the ER to have him amitted and when the hospital didnt admitt him they had me take him back to the ofice and then they told me "oh he is fine" Really my baby got over RSV in one day, WOW!!, same dr I had them test my daughter for asthmia cuz she has had breathing problems for 3 years now and they got the test results back from the hospital and she tells me " yes the test shows she has breathing problems but I dont think its asthmia" WE GOT THE TEST CUZ SHE HAD THE BREATHING PROBLEMS to me some drs are not so smart I like taking my kids to a midwife nurse.
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 10:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I think of my relationship with my doctor as a collaboration. I do my research before I come in with ANYTHING and have some ideas, have a general sense of what's wrong and what I want done about it. I expect them to take my thoughts on the condition into consideration and listen to me and help me find a solution that works for ME as an individual.

I don't usually see a doctor, though. I don't have a regular doctor, and I get my well woman care from a midwife.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011