Clip dogs nails?

Do you take your dogs to get their nails clipped or do you do it yourself?

I clip my females but my male has dark paws and his nails are dark brown and I'm always afraid I'm going to nic the quick and make him bleed, so I take him in to get done.

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 10:01 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pets

• My dog HATES getting is nails done so badly, he only gets them done when he goes under for dental cleaning. If anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. He's 70 lbs and very strong so holding him is virtually impossible. Any secrets you can share?
    WonderingHeart

Answer by WonderingHeart at 10:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My female doesn't mind because she loves attention and I pet her and tell her how pretty she is, lol. She's spoiled. She was wary the first few times so I gave her a treat covered in peanut butter and she was distracted licking the peanut butter off so that helped some.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I use a dremel to file my dogs' nails. My american bulldog really hates nail day, but fortunately she tolerates anything for a little slice of the cheddar!

I hate dark nails too, but if you use the dremel to just file off the sharp tip it isn't bad. Pedipaws works from the dremel approach too, you might try that one. I believe it has a guard that prevents you from going too far, whereas my dremel is from the hardware store and I have to be quite careful with it that way.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I do my own animals. It sucks if you get into the quick but I keep stuff on hand to stop the bleeding. I also use a dremel .
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I've done my dogs' nails since they were puppies...they are now nearly 5 & 3 yrs old. I did have the vet show me how the first time. If you start them when they are young they get used to it. Even if you get them later in life they can learn to accept it, too. I lay my dogs on their backs either on my lap or between my stretched out legs while sitting one the floor. My male dog actually goes to sleep! lol Just be very gentle, calm, and reassuring. Talk to them, telling them how good they are. Even do as the other person said and get some peanut butter for them to lick to distract them. My male dog has black nails so I just cut the tip off (which means it has to be done more often, but I don't mind).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 7:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• One thing about black nails. If you can get your dog to lay on their sides with you on their side where their back is facing you. You can take their feet and bend them so that you see the underside of the nail. You can get a better idea where the quick is that way. It is not always 100% accurate but it works.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I use pedi paws..It is a battery operated nail file for dogs and cats. I ordered it through PCH. It is so great!!!! I don't have the expense of getting them done by a groomer. Also I don't have the risk of having my animals put to sleep for it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We clip our dogs. He is very laid back and doesnt mind it too much. His nails are actually clear so it does make it easier.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The trick that has always worked well for me on clipping black nails... look underneth the nail to get the idea where the quick is.. cut about a quarter inch above that.. a good guide is also (if your dog is easy going) is to slowly cut the nail back alittle at a time.. cut back until you see a hollow hole in the center... I was taught that is a good stopping point...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 6:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I clip both of my dogs nails. The male does not mind, but we have to hold the female down and keep her face away from my hands. She hates it and tries to bite me.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 11:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011