Cutting the Apron Strings

My oldest is 19, in colllege, very responsible. I have already cut the strings. But, my husband hovers and bugs her to death! We get into arguments about this. He accuses me of being non-caring. I accuse him of hovering.
Then the guilt comes...the message that I'm a bad mom for not hovering as he does...geesh!

Leezah

Asked by Leezah at 10:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• You don't hover, you guide and teach mostly by example. My daughter at 17 left home for school and often she would call me being 400 miles away when she was sick, my heart went out to her, I wanted to fly over there and cuddle her into health, but instead, I told her to go to the infirmary seek a doctor and do as she was told.

Answer by older at 7:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Her...as in daughter, and he,...as in father. Two words that scare many parents hahhahah. He's being a protective father to his baby girl, i'm sure fathers are more ''hovering'' over there dd's than SO's but i'm not sure, never had a father in my life.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• whoops i meant DS'S lol
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Sounds like me and my husband. Our youngest is 20 and he's also in school and is very resposible. That's because I don't hover! I allow him to make his own decisions and be there when he needs me. My husband wants to hover and not give him the chance to grow and this annoys the hell out of him. Obviously, my son and I are closer because I do allow him to be an adult.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i am not one to hover over any one i do my own thing i expect my kids to do same thing
    but they seem to drag their ass waiting for some else to pick up the slack
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Sounds like my Dad. Have been with my husband for 7 years, I have 5 children and I live on my own, he still calls several times a day for various reasons.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011