Coming off a bottle...

How and What age did you child get taken off a bottle at naptime and bedtime? My daughter is 18 months, and She still gets a bottle, I want to try to get her off a bottle completely but not sure how to without her screaming at the top of her lungs.

tayysmommy

Asked by tayysmommy at 10:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i gave my son the bottle on the couch with me sitting down next to him then after he had his fill i would take it away tell him its time to go to sleep and put him in the bed. he would cry for it but i never put it back in the bed with him. if he continiued to cry for more than 2 mins i would take him out of the bed and sit with him again with the bottle but never with him in the bed. she will understand the bottle is not going to be with her in the bed.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 10:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Famous advice,..just take it away, there are going to be a lot, and i do mean a lot of restless nights, but it will go away in time. It's worth it in the end. My LO is 14 months, and I only give her a bottle at nap/bed time, starting tomorrow it's strictly bedtime....that's how I would handle it. And trash the bottles, just keep ONE, i trashed all of hers but one. DONT GIVE IN!!!!!! =] goodluck momma!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• She only gets a bottle at nap times and bedtimes. We only have 1 bottle. Guess I will try the bottle before bedtime and see how that goes...Alot of my friends say their kids were taken off the bottle at 12 months and havent had one since...
    tayysmommy

Comment by tayysmommy (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• sadly, my grandma took my oldest dd off the bottle, while i was in the hospital delivering my 2nd dd. what a life saver, because she was soooo hard, but my gma seemed to have no problem lol. you could also try using sippy cup in replacement of a bottle (the non-spill) one. of course don't let her use it as a bottle, but follow sarael's advice, but with a sippy cup.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I let my sons choose when to get rid of their bottle. My oldest was 2.5 years old and my youngest was 16 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• remember each child is different. Since you are moved into your place now, it wont be a huge deal to her to wean her off, but you are trying to potty train her too so I would pick one anf do that one and wait until you have her doing the other one awhile before adding something else for her to learn. :) Shell be ok if she screams for a little while during nap time. Itll build that thick skin youre going to need when shes a teenager!! LOL. GOOD LUCK.
    Karmawolf

Answer by Karmawolf at 6:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Either way you try it, there is going to be a lot of tears so be prepared and hold your ground. It's a hard habit to break but by the third or fourth night she'll be done with it and you can always use her smile as motivation because it's very bad for their teeth to go to sleep with a bottle.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011