My 3yr old got a timeout for locking me out of his room TWICE. then HITS ME

While being put in time out after getting out/ should the timeout still be 3min for 2 BIG offenses

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i tack a little more on for each offense. My son is three...his first time out is 5 minutes. If he misbehaves after that, he gets 7 mins and so on.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 10:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Also, my son used to lock his door, too. Not to keep me out, just bc it was a little button and he likes buttons, lol. We ended up putting on a new door knob.
    metalhealthmom

• If he was My 3 yr old he would not have a door or door handle anymore. I'd tell him, your getting ____ minutes because you did this and that. And explain the more he does the more time he gets.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i agree there with metalhealthmom my kids were the same way 5 minutes for the first offense and then a minute was added for everything he did wrong while in the time out. if its a major offense like the locking out and hitting i would say 5 minutes to start with and then keep adding if he does more offenses. hope this helps, every kid is different so you really just have to do whats right for your kid. good luck
    angelaad42

Answer by angelaad42 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• thank you ladies. he use to 3 min time outs so i did a 5 min one . and that way LONG. any way i think time to take the door nob off..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• He can't lock you out of his room if he doesn't have a door TO his room! Take the door off the hinges and put it on the porch. AND keep up the time-outs. Locking you out of a room can put your child in danger, so don't tolerate it!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:38 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• He is very young for time-outs.
    And for a door that he can be locked behind.
    Making changes for safety may solve more problems.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:54 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• what we did is remove the locks from the bedroom doors and put the bathroom door handle higher so our son can't reach it to lock it

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 15, 2011