My 5 week old stopped taking the bottle any suggestions?

I've been breastfeeding my baby since her birth and supplimenting since she was 3 weeks. She has had no problem taking the bottle for 2 weeks, now she won't take it at all and screams until she gets me. We have been using the Playtex Ventair bottles and she took them better than any other bottle. Just don't understand why she won't take it anymore. Please help!

slynn3043

Asked by slynn3043 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, she does get to hear your heartbeat, feel and smell you. it's more than likely a comfort thing. if you're still needing to use the bottle, the best way to do it is to get your dh or someone to do it while you're NOT in the room. if you're in the room, she will smell you and cry until she has you. she may have to wait until she's really hungry before she actually will take it. i had to do that with a baby i was watching that was breastfed, but his mother was going back to school.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above poster. Knowing your around is probably making her reject the bottle. Make sure whoever is offering it snuggles with her the way you would. I had to teach my husband how to do this and now they work great together! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Oh yeah: I once took my husbands sweatshirt out of the wash and slept in it. It smelled like me, so when my husband put it on the next day, it smelled like Mommy! I have no way of knowing that this for sure helped, but it's worth a shot!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son did the same thing and I just figured Id breastfeed him and not use a bottle.

Answer by gemgem at 2:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My daughter wouldn't use silicone nippled when i was transitioning from breast to bottle. i think because the latex it the same color and more like the texture of the real thing.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• yeah I finally gave up trying to give my baby a bottle. She absolutely refuses it. She doesn't even cry anymore. She will just sit there with the bottle in her mouth and refuse to suck or swallow. I have made peace with the fact that she will go from breast to cup.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• If your still breastfeeding, I would advise you just give up the bottle all together and only breastfeed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008