When do i start transitioning for bottle to sippy cup?

how do you usually go about doing this? any good brands to use? do i use formula or juice? completely clueless!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I started introducing a soft nozzled sippy at around 6 months. They should stay on formula until at least a year, so you can start off by offering formula in a sippy. Whatever he/she doesn't drink, you then put into a bottle for him/her. Eventually, they will drink all of it from the cup and not want the bottle anymore. Then, you can switch to a harder nozzled cup. My first daughter was completely off the bottle by 10 months, but it took my second daughter til 15 months. This is how I did it anyways. Different things work with different children.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'd begin introducing it around the time I introduced solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Before one year for sure. I would start as soon as they can do it themselves. When they can hold it and control it, do it. What in it is your preference. Depending on the age you can even start to transition to whole milk.
    melanieleigh07

Answer by melanieleigh07 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• i started at 7 months! with just some water! it took forever for her to take breast milk out of a sippy but now she does fine! we bought a few different brands to try at first she likes some more than others so its all about finding wat is best for ur baby!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• about yhe time the chikd starts eating table food.
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 4:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started with mine when they could sit up. I put just water in it because I didn't use formula and didn't want her to have the sugar from juice. We used the soft spouts to start because it seemed an easier transition, and one of mine liked the straw cups best. Experiment and find what works. Once they learn to drink from it and you are ready to wean you can replace one nursing/bottle per day with a sippy cup of formula or milk, depending on age. Playtex has always been my brand of choice. If you use juice, just make sure it's 100% juice and dilute it at least 50/50 with water.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started when my boys could hold there bottles i would give them a sippy just to tuch and play around with i have been trying different ones to see what they like so far one likes the soft one and my othere boy likes the hard ones
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We started all our kids (5 of them) when they started baby food, around 5-6 months. We only offer water, milk or juice in the cup (usually water at first, milk and juice are considered treats in our house). With the older kids they didn't have those soft spoutted cups so we used hard ones and they figured them out within a couple months. With our youngest (8 months) we used the soft ones. He started at 5 1/2 months and can now drink fine out of the one and is still figuring out the other brands. They won't get it right away. Just keep offering it. Hold it up to their mouth whenever you take a drink or if you are feeding them. Keep one filled with water laying where he plays. Eventually he'll figure it out. For use giving up the bottle was easy since they were used to drinking from a cup. At 10 months they dropped a bottle, another at 11 months and I took the last away at 12 months without a fuss...form 4 kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:11 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• the soft tip ones I gave my daughter at 5 1/2 months to see how she would do and she been off the bottle sense then
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• we skipped sippy cups all together, when my LO was around 7-8 months we got little plastic shot glasses and filled it with just a splash of water and gave that to her with meals. She was able to drink out of the cup no problem by about 13 months. We still did bottles before naps & bedtime.
    handsfreemom

Answer by handsfreemom at 1:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011