What to do?

My daughter lashes out at my husband and me. She will kick and smack us both. She also says she hates us and is always telling us to leave her alone. Idk what to do. I've tried time out, and swats on the butt and hands. She don't seem to respond. I tell her not to do that and when she says why I say "cause it is not nice". I know just being shy of 3 she don't really understand but she is quite smart for her age and I really think she has some clue. She don't have to many good days, maybe just couple days a week is she pleasant to be around.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not an expert at children's behavior, I am only speaking from my experience. My 3 1/2 year old acts up similarly to yours, but to a lesser degree and lesser frequency. She does this only when something physical is bothering her, i.e. when she's hungry, tired or out of her regular routine. It sounds simple and you'd think they know to verbalize those simple needs at 3, but they don't know. Also another clue is maybe there's some kind of food that's bothering your child. My suggestion is try sticking with a very strict schedule for a week or 2, take meticulous notes about what you/she did, ate, drank. Note clearly when she acts up, end of the week, try to see if there's a pattern or a trigger. Good luck.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My DD does the same thing and what works with her is when she does hit or yell at you, you have to tell her in a stern voice "I'm NOT talking to you till you know how to be nice", dont yell just be stern! And after you tell her sternly you need to sit her in time out for a minute or 2 so she knows that you are boss!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 3:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2011