Testing for Protein in urine

My midwife told me a few months ago why many people--including her--don't test for protein in the urine anymore. Her explaination was completely logical and backed by facts, but the problem is I've forgotten what it was. (My mind is REALLY starting to slip, I guess!)

So, can anyone tell me what their practicioner told them about why they are not testing the urine for protein? (I'll see her in a week, but I just don't want to have to wait that long!)

Thanks!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 11:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hmm, I hadn't heard that they stopped testing for protein, but that could be new. It was primarily used to test for pre-eclampsia.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• usually if you're developing pre-e, you show other symptoms FIRST, before you spill protein. Testing for it can be rather expensive (each strip costs about $1, done on how many women per day?), and peeing in a cup is kind of degrading. So why do it unless you have to?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My dr did when i thought i was goin into early labor, he told me tht the reason they test for it is cuz if u do have protein in ur urine tht it means ur goin into early labor or something like tht i cant really remember everything he told me it was almost a year ago
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• not sure... mine tested.
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:02 AM on Mar. 14, 2011