What do I do with a 17 yr. old son that wets the bed

gem621

Asked by gem621 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• There's usually an underlying issue at that point. You might consider taking him to the doctor. Could by psychological or physiological.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Take him to the Dr!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Take him to his doc!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• How often does he wet the bed? Is it everynight? It could be a medical problem as well. Have you discussed this with the Dr.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• My son has never stopped wetting the bed. Of course I have talked to his Dr.....lots of times.....his response is that he and his brothers did it till they were 18 yrs. old. All I want is for my son to take responsibility for this.....not drinking anything within a few hrs of bedtime, change the sheets in the morning, make his bed, and take a shower. He does these things when he feels like it, and still...even lies about having wet the bed. His bed smells of urine, even though he has always had a plastic sheet on it. This is just ridiculous!!! There seems to be no end to this. Please don't write and tell me he is embarrassed.....I wish he would be, then he might try harder.
    gem621

Comment by gem621 (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Did your other sons ever take responsibility for wetting the bed? I am just wondering why he would? Maybe he's a hard sleeper and just can't wake up when his body is telling him to go. Boy, I don't know what to tell you because getting angry never seems to help in any situation.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• No, it is his Dr. and his brothers that wet the bed till 18, so he doesn't really do much to help my son with the problem. I have just one son, and he is the only one that wets his bed. I do get angry......when he does not take responsibility for it, or lies about it. I have resigned myself to the whole bed wetting problem.
    gem621

Comment by gem621 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I'm sorry, I know this must be tough for you. I have a 20yr old son and never had those problems. A friend of mines son did the same thing until he was 16 and she too resigned to it and he finally stopped. GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You can either accept and find a solution, or continue to fight it. So far, it doens't sound like you've gotten anywhere with the fighting.

Have you had your son examined by a urologist? Psychiatrist? I'm sure you have... but just wanted to ask.

Also, if you're sick of changing the sheets in the morning... perhaps some adult diapers are in order? I wore them after giving birth to my son for about a week... it was nice to be able to sleep and not worry about yet another chore in the morning.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Get a bedwetting alarm and a box of depends..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 9:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2011