Grandparents

This is just for fun. Do you think that grandparents should have right? Like if anything happens to you or s/o. or just one of you guys and they thing the one left living isn't a fit parent.

red_head_mommy2

Asked by red_head_mommy2 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes. Isn't that the way you would want it?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• The DCFS gets to decide WHO is the best parent, and DNA almost always trumps grandparents. Short of one parent only and that parent smoking crack in front of a cop and dropping the kid on their head, then kicking said kid is usually the only way to get a child taken from a DNA parent
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• no!!! My mil thinks i am a horrible mother because i don't dress dd in pretty pink dresses and i let her say "butt" and i don't give her a bath everyday (she has dry skin) If my dh died mil would try to get custody in a heartbeat if she had the right to do it.

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Yes and no.
    No because I know my s/o's family because if something happen to him they'd do anything in the power to get my kids just to be the bitches that they are. Never mind the fact that I already did it on my own with my oldest for 2 years of his life. Also, if something happen to both us at the same time they'd try fight my family for the kids. When I know they won't treat them fair or right.

Yes, because if something happen to both us I'd want my family to take over care. I know they'd be treated fair and right.

Also, I wouldnt marry someone who I didn't think would be a fit parent in the first place.
    red_head_mommy2

Comment by red_head_mommy2 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• If it's your own mother, at least you know what it was like growing up with her. As for your MIL, You know more about her than we do, that one is your call. As for me, out of three children one is grown, the other will be 18 next month, and my 12 yr old has Down's and will always have to have someone with him. His father wouldn't be able to handle him, he just doesn't understand him like I do, so I hope I live long enough that all my children are grown before something happens to me. But I think that all of us as parents wish the same thing I do.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• This is why we set up a living will. If we both crump, the kids go to the people we appointed and our parents don't have to fight over who gets them. Plus, you have to consider whether the grandparents would be able to care for the children as you would want them too considering health and age, etc. If my husband would be left with them, I know my sister would be a very big part of my kids' life, whether he liked it or not!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The order of custody goes biological mother, biological father, maternal grandmother, paternal grandmother, and so on.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2011