I heard antidepressants don't work....

So I've been reading all this stuff on how they don't work and what not. So I've been weaning myself off and taking the natural stuff (fish oil,vit d and c, st john's wort) anyways, is it normal to feel crappy the first few days? Bc things are popping into my head that I haven't thought about in so long (bout the past and stuff...NOT suicide) and Ive been feeling irritated and like easily sensitive.

I'm not so sure about all this...is it normal? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Health

• I disagree that they don't work.

Self medicating isn't a good thing - just my honest opinion.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• In order for medication to be approved by the FDA, it has to be proven effective. Which means that it has to go through a placebo study, where its effects are quantitatively established. The placebo effect is huge-- so for a drug to overcome that placebo effect and actually have a result is a good sign.

Antidepressants do work-- but the same one won't necessarily work for you like it works for someone else. Often, people need to try different kinds before they find one that works.

It's great you're trying to take a more natural and holistic approach, but be careful. Anti-depressants generally work by modifying the brain chemistry. Messing arou nd isnt' a good idea.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Anti-depressants do work, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You should call your doctor ASAP and tell him what you have been doing. There is a reason why your doctor prescribed you antidepressants. Sounds to me like they were working for you, but only you can say if that is true....Did you feel better on than off?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/07/reversing-depression-without-antidepressants.aspx

Look at this please.

~OP
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Anti-depressants do work, sounds to me that taking yourself off and trying other things isn't working for you. Weaning yourself off is going to have some negative side affects. Your Dr. might be able to prescribe something that is a milder form than what you've been taking.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• This is coming from someone who recently quit Prozac cold turkey about two or three weeks ago. Anti-depressants doesn't work for everyone. Prozac did what it could for my anxitey, but as soon as I tried to quite it the first time, the sixteen years of depression (which I beat on my own) came creeping back. I don't suggest anyone quick any of these drugs cold turkey. Anyways, I ended up changing the way I think and how I viewed the issues in my life. That worked for me, but it may not work for those who have been diagnosis with clinical depression or bipolar disorder. Everyone's different. You wanting to get on a anti-depressant to see whether it works or not will be totally up to you. It's not something to take lightly. Prozac was the only one prescribed to me. I haven't been taken any of the other options. Good Luck!!!! :)

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 5:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm very familiar with Dr. Mercola's website and I remember this article.

I personally don't take these drugs so I can't say whether they work or not BUT I would take a holistic approach over these dangerous medications any day.

Are you taking any B vitamins? I would find a holistic doctor (homeopath, DAN doctor, chiropractor, etc.) and start from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2011