changing from a bottle to a sippy cup

my daughter is 11 months and ive been trying to get her to take a sippy cup more often, but everytime i try my mom says shes 2 young and my mom throws a fit if i dont do things her way.

so do you think its alright to introduce the sippy cup to her now?

xxmissrainbow

Asked by xxmissrainbow at 2:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dentist recommend that I child stops using a bottle at a year old. I introduced my son to a sippy cup at 6 months. As far as your mother is concerned, she raised you. Now it is your turn to raise your child the way YOU want to. She may have her feelings hurt in the begining, but this is your child, not hers. If you feel that your daughter should start on a sippy cup, then give one to her. She is old enough to use a sippy cup.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 2:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I should add that the bottle went away at a year, not 6 months. At first I started with giving him juice and water mixture, the at naptime he got a sippy cup instead of a bottle. When he was a year old, I just threw out all the bottles and gave him a sippy cup. I never had any issues with my son wanting a bottle and not his sippy cup. At first you may need to take out the "leak protector" from the sippy cup so they understand the concept of sucking. Once they have it just put it back on and they'll just suck harder. Good luck with the transition, and your mother!
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 2:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Well, with my daughter i started around one year. It was hard with her. She didn't want it because of my mother babying her. I had to stand up to her and tell her hey my daughter, my choice. With my son he is still on the bottle at 10 months but i give him a sippy every once in a while. I give him the kind of sippy that has the soft top like the nipple of the bottle, he takes to it really well and drinks from it. Between 11-14 months i will slowly be throwing out all his bottles and he'll be on the sippy .

good luck
    TulsaMomOf2

Answer by TulsaMomOf2 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• It is, and if your mother throws an actual fit like that, merely turn around, and say to her, "since you're acting like such a baby, maybe you need this.". It might get your point across, in a very direct, without fighting way. Good luck!
    sizesmith

Answer by sizesmith at 3:03 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Every child is different as we know. Some are ready for a sippy cup before other . And mama you be the judge of that not grandma, it's just her being a grandma is all.
    Joyo4

Answer by Joyo4 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Absolutely fine for a sippy cup. i introduced around 6-7 months and was weened from bottle at 11 months. it's your child. try to explain to your mom that times have chanced and while it may have been considered OK to keep on the bottle as long as possible when you were a child, you wish to do things this way because of ... . Also let grandma know that she will still be her little baby even if she's not on a bottle. My mom hated to see the bottle and paci go b/c she's "so little" and "still her baby" and didn't want her to "grow up to fast".
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• yes it is good to start now i work at a daycare as well as having 2 kids of my own and i have seen parents start their kids on sippys at 9 months
    areneemurph

Answer by areneemurph at 4:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son will be a year old in 21 days & he gets sippy cups during the day and only gets a bottle before he takes a nap or goes to bed for the night. We also only give him fruit juices or milk in his sippy and formula in the bottles because we plan on weening him from the bottle and formula at a year old or a little after. It's totally fine to give her a sippy now. I'd try the Nuby sippy cups with the silicone tip since it's closer to a bottle nipple & she might catch on quicker. My son can use both hard and soft but I only buy the soft ones still.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 6:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son started on a sippy when he was 6 months old. He is now 2.5 years old and still uses a bottle (for milk) but also uses a sippy, straws and cups. Sippys are just grown up versions of bottles. I had mine till I was 4 and am fine. It is about comfort.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2008