When your taking the bottle away premently from a 17 nonth old, what do you do when she screams and cryes and fights sleep?

Parka54

Asked by Parka54 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you just breaking her from a milk bottle. I would give her a milk bottle at dinner then to go to bed just a water bottle if she needs something
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• sippy with water or milk if she doesn't sleep with it in her mouth.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 5:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Put less and less in it over a period of days. And substotue a sippy cup in her bed as suggested earlier.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would honestly give a sippy or bottle of water at night.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I started the transition when my kids turned one. At age one I took the bottle from them during the day, Then when they get use to the sippy during the day, I took it at naps too, Then I took it at bed time. My ds is 17 months now and does not cry for it at all. He hasn't had it since 13 months old. It doen't take that long but it is not easy, but having them off the bottle is always better for them becouse being on the bottle too long can cause baby tooth decay.(My little brother had to have his four front teeth removed at age two and a half becouse of the bottle.)
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I gave my son a sippy when we got him off his bottle at night. It was hard at first, lots of crying but I reassured him that he was a big boy and helped him get to sleep, playing with his hair, singing, etc. then the next morning we hooted and hollered congratulations on big boyhood and then he was proud to do it :)
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011