5 year old refuses to blow nose when having a cold

He'd rather sit there unable to breathe than just blow it. Is this typical for a 5 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I can't blow my nose because of the pressure it causes in my ear drums. It is not unusual for a child to not want to blow their nose. All you can do is just encourage him when needed. :O)

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:12 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• i never blew my nose till i was like 20 it just made me more stuffed up i would just have her wipe it if it is running
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• tell him he will blow it or you will have to use the snot sucker. lol thats always enough to motivate my kids even at thair more stubborn.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I threaten a snot sucker too. Works every time.

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• OMG, I have this with my almost 8 year old. She thinks it's gross to blow it
    and gags. I have to hold her down, it's rediculous!!
    worrier

Answer by worrier at 11:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• At least your children know how to blow their noses. I have tried to get my 6-year-old to blow his nose. Every time he tries, he sucks his breath in. I have finally given up on getting him to blow and told him to just wipe it whenever it runs. This is one battle not worth fighting if mucus is cleaned up right away.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008