Questions about preschool and developmental delays?

Hello!

My son Ryley is 3. He just started preschool at our district's special education school. He has some problems with speech, social, transitions, and only a few motor skills. His goals that we set at school are 1. do a structured activity next to another child without disturbing the other child 2. do activities as a group when asked, and transition between those activities when asked 3. draw a stick person with at least three body parts 4. know his colors.

any tips for helping him reach his goals that i could do at home? especially the transitions and activities? how do i get him to not cry when i drop him off? also im new to the whole developmental delay thing, any advice would be appreciated.

tomithina4

Asked by tomithina4 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well my oldest was a little delayed on some of this things. Honestly tho? I didn't do much at home with him. I had him tested (which it sounds like you've done) and then just talked with the teachers on what they would like me to do at home. Thankfully all they wanted me to do was pick one thing that's a problem and make sure he works on it for a few minutes everyday. Altho the last couple months its been the same thing..... picking up his toys! lol
    My advice is to just talk with his teachers. They know more than any of us on here will. They work with him. Something else would be to get him into some type of therapy.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• That is a lot to ask of children so young-- you might consider taking him out of school for a while.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I homeschool my autistic daughter who is 3 1/2. Is he a visual learner? My daughter is and I use a variety of different things. First, I create a visual schedule with activities that need to be completed with "play" time in between and this has helped her transition between activities because she can see and expect what is to come next. I also have created file folder tasks that focus on shapes, colors, abc's and patterns and because of these it has helped her learn her abc's, colors, and shapes! I have all of her activities also placed into clear drawer stands with a picture on the front of each one. There are a lot of fun ways to work with your son to learn these things! Good luck :)
    brknangel

Answer by brknangel at 9:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Hello i also have a son with devolpmental delays (speech)@ the age of two he could only say DEDE(his blanket) he has been in a program called birthto three in wv . i understand how frustrating and upsetting it can be for you and your child especially when they r trying to tell usomething he is now going to b four this april (he has attended a school prek program at three but will need 2 do it again next yr. his speech has improved a great dea since school still deff for sum ppl 2 understand him still has probs with any word that requires a lot of use of tounge mouth movemnet landen vitamin- itamin to make him exited about school we really talked it up like going to school ur such a big boy pickin out supplies backpack lunchpail bringing lunches that all seemed to help. having a child with delays is very hard especially if there bery smart @ three landen tested cognitivly at a 5/6yr level but speech barely 2yrs hope it helps
    missysue1123

Answer by missysue1123 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2011