She knows phonics. Now what?

my 4.5yo DD knows how to write all her letters & knows phonics VERY well..
But she does not want to sound out words using phonics!
Its so confusing on what to do for her because on her leapster she has a game that will say "make the word FAN" and have "ANF" and she knows to click the F, then the A, and last the N...

She can write/spell some family names: her name, mom, dad, granny, nanny, meme & a few short words like dog & cat

So how can I help her along so she can begin reading?.. I like to keep it fun & enjoyable.. I do not want to force learning onto her..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with the previous answers. Don't push her to begin reading, just keep reading to her and when she's ready, she'll learn to put the words and sounds together. She already has an advantage over a lot of kids her age. I'm a retired Teaching Assistant. I've worked on Reading Skills with all ages. When I worked with kindergarteners, some couldn't even recognize colors, let alone letters. My own granddaughter is 3 and is at the age of a 4-5 year old with her knowledge and use of vocabulary. I worry that pushing her too far ahead may lead to boredom when she starts Pre-K. Continue to make teaching and learning fun for her. It'll be more enjoyable for both of you!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• This is very young.
    If it's not coming naturally then stop for a while.
    I wouldn't offer anything.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think just reading to her will help, she seems to being very well for her age so i wouldn't push it too much.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The best thing you can do to foster reading skills is to read to your child often. Make it fun and a time to cuddle together. She is doing fine. Don't feel you need to do more right now other than reading to her. She is also at a great age to get a library card and do things at the library with you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011