When is the right time to start dating?

chgomom

Asked by chgomom at 3:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that 16 is a good age for both sex to start dating. Every age below that is asking for trouble. The kids are not ready to date before then. The parents need to set rules and stick to them.
    Parka54

Answer by Parka54 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't think you have to worry about that. Kids in elementary and middle school have "boyfriends/girlfriends" but how much trouble can they get in? It's not like they have cars to meet up whenever they want. They'll hold hands in the hallway and will only see each other when you allow the other to come over for dinner or whatever activity. It's not like they can see each other at this point without you knowing about it. Then for the first year or 2 of high school they won't be driving and if they want to go on a date, they'll have to ask you or the other parent to take them. So you'll know where they're going. By time they actually can drive and go on dates, they'll be about 16 or 17 which is old enough to go on dates by their selves.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• As in teens, after divorce, death of a spouse???????????

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think double dates with friends is ok at 14 or 15 and 16 is good for being alone somewhere.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Thanks for thinking clearer than I was early this morning Louise. I meant teens. Sorry;)
    chgomom

Comment by chgomom (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I think that sixteen is ok. But with the knowledge of sex and other things. Hopefully they will wait for sex until marriage but that is something that we hope for but is not expected
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• really depends on the maturity of the girl....16 is a good age but if she is reallyy niave and trusting.....I would make her wait! Unless you like raising your grandchildren.....I worked in a medical clinic years ago and remember 13 year old girls asking for pregancy test...so obvioulsy if they are dating too young, they can find a way, they dont need a car.....they use the school bathrooms,lockerroom s....it also doesnt help that Mtv has the teen mommy shows...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• At our house, sixteen

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Mar. 12, 2011