Are there risks of drinking too much milk?

I can't seem to get my son to drink anything other than Soy and Lactaid Milk. I add water to his milk from time to time. His PCM (Doctor) doesn't have a answer for me.

LanaisSky96

Asked by LanaisSky96 at 3:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It started a few years ago when several babies were hospitalized with severe beriberi and brain damage because of a soy infant formula that was deficient in vitamin B1. The manufacturer had gotten the idea that if soy is such a perfect food, already high in B vitamins, why should they add extra B vitamins? They didn't understand that babies need added B1 and that processing affects vitamins. National alerts were issued, the product was recalled, and all the babies on soy formula immediately got injections of B1.

In short, you make the decision. Hope this was helpful. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Well, this should have probably been titled soy-milk. Lol. =). There are real concerns with drinking too much cows milk, from induced anemia thanks to all of that calcium to just all the extra fat being consumed.

Now if you're not giving your child organic soy milk, and I am not trying to go into an entire spiel here, but it's REALLY vital that you don't give your child milk from genetically altered soy beans (which is almost all of USA's soy beans these days). If you'd like to know more about that, google Monsanto.

Outside of that risk factor :

If you're drinking soy milk, you're going to have a problem, or most people will sooner or later. We're all different--some people will start having problems in a day, and some people will think they're fine and a year later things will start to go downhill.

Cont'd
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:43 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Drinking just one glass a day of soy milk will give someone the level of plant estrogens that has hurt the thyroids of healthy Japanese men and women.

If people are concerned about getting enough calcium, try a homemade coconut tonic made with coconut milk and dolomite powder. It will match the mineral content of milk and support the immune system and thyroid.

The Israeli health ministry issued an advisory saying that babies should not get soy formula and that children under 18 should eat soy no more than once a day, three times a week maximum. Adults should exercise caution due to the adverse effects on fertility and increased breast cancer risk.
    Razelda

• Thank you very much!!!! You've been very helpful! I guess I should select your last post as best answer, since it is the conclusion to your continuance. Thanks again :)

LanaisSky96

Comment by LanaisSky96 (original poster) at 4:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2011