What do you do when your adult kids yell at you?

Parka54

Asked by Parka54 at 3:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• What do they yell at you about? My mom will start screaming at me if I say something she doesn't like or if I don't agree with her. I stand my point if she is wrong but I very rarely yell at her even when she is screaming at me. I tell her she needs to calm down and I walk away. I suppose you could do the same thing. Or if you're starting it because you don't agree with them on something, you need to remember that they're adults now and you can no longer make their decisions for them. You can give your opinion but everything they do now is their choice alone.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Its just a phase, I'm sure they will get over it, they sometimes want their privacy, they won't stay mad at you for long, I have a daughter who is 20, sometimes she gets these short tantrums, but gets over them quickly, don't worry.
    MomMellisa

Answer by MomMellisa at 4:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Mine don't. They didn't when they where minors either. If they did I would walk away.

Answer by louise2 at 5:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Mine have never done this, but I would put them in their place right away!

Answer by older at 7:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Ask them to please NOT yell at me. If they continue to yell. I leave. No one listens to a yelling person. NO ONE!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:01 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My DD and I will argue, she is 30, but I can not remember the last yelling, we have built good communication over the years and that helps. My DS won't yell,he is 23, but he can cut me to the core without yelling, it hurts. I have found that when he gets like that I have to "disengage" from interacting with him, if he is in that mode there is nothing I can say that is right. The only thing that works is to walk away, even if it is just for 10 minutes, cool off, and try to figure out what is at the core of the issue.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

•  

Mine have never done this, but I would put them in their place right away!

This^^^^

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:04 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• today my daughter did so i said i will no longer support her till she finds a job
    when they are adults time to find your self and move out
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't like disrespect. I understand everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then, but I wouldn't tolerate this often. To me, it shows a lack of respect.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My children do not and have never yelled at me, including my adult children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:29 AM on Mar. 14, 2011