What is the best cough syrup formy 5 year old?

craftyjackie

Asked by craftyjackie at 3:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Delsum. Last time I bought it it was behind the pharm counter. But it does work for the full 12 hrs.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• You should take her to the doctor and get prescription cough syrup. It works better and they will know which dosage is right for your child. The measurements on over the counter cough syrup categorizes in general areas and may not be right for your child considering (s)he is not the same as every other 5 year old in the country. Also, you don't know why your child is coughing. Some things need antibiotics to be cured and therefor the cough medicine won't be helping them get better.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 4:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Tylenol
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 6:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• tylenol cold and cough works really good.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Ask the pharmacist or your Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Cough syrup doesn't always work on kids. That's why it's hard to find one that does... Cough syrups tell your brain that you don't have to cough, & that psychology just doesn't work for a kid. Read on, it's interesting....

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/cough-medicine-should-you-shouldnt-you
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Delsym - really the only over the counter cough syrup that actually works. There's been many studies on this over the last couple of years and they all reached the same conclusion...also the doctors will tell you this same thing. Don't waste your money on anything else.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:47 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I did get a cough medicine from the doctor, and it made it worse.. It had steriods in it..
    craftyjackie

Comment by craftyjackie (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• a spoon full of honey works,unless child is diabetic.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Grismelda took what I was going to say. hee hee -- I was amazed the first time I used honey for my daughter. It works great!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2011