My 4 year old wakes up at night. HELP!?

My daughter has been waking up every night in the middle of the night and coming in my room saying "i want to snuggle. I tell her that she is a big girl now and that she needs to sleep in her own room and put her back in bed. Then i go back to sleep and I wake up in the morning with her right next to me. I cant sleep well with her in the bed with me and ive read that kids dont need to sleep with their parents anyways. She did the same thing tonight, which is why Im up at 3 am, and she started screaming and throwing a temper tantrum. I took the tv out of her room and she threw an even bigger fit. Im at my wits end, im exhausted and i cant take much more. What do i do?

KayleesMommy89

Asked by KayleesMommy89 at 4:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I made that mistake with my oldest letting him in the bed with me, sounds like you are doing the right thing, it will just take some time, if you let her in there before she will need to adjust to this.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• you gotta force her time and time again to sleep in her room. try rewarding her when she does and stay there the whole night. GL
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• can she climb a baby gate yet? we use one for ds because if not, he will worm his way in to our bed also.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My four year old has never slept through the night - ever. The rare few times he has and we worried something was wrong with him. I am not worried about it. For many kids this is normal. He crawls in around two or so in the morning usually and we just let him hop in with us. For us it is a time of attachment and to be close as a family. He will not be 13 and still climbing in bed with us. He always starts in his bed, we have a good bed routine, healthy sleep hygiene (no television, no toys in the room, relaxing set up), and he falls a sleep with no problems. Part of the reason he woke up is he snored and had some apnea which would wake him up. Congestion from allergies during changes in the seasons, and his tonsils were larger than normal for his age. Tonsils were removed, snoring gone, and we keep his room as allergy friendly as possible. He also wakes when he wets his pullup.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Our requirement before he hops into bed is he uses the bathroom, changes his own pullup if he is wet, washes his hands, and then climbs in. We make sure to keep the bathroom light on so he can do all these things more easily and pullups by the tiolet. We also have a humidifer and added a sleep machine with soothing noises. More and more he is able to sleep in his room most of the night and comes in closer to five than two. In time he will sleep all the way in his own bed. For me, this is not a battle I want to wage and is a non issue. Many children I have known did this and equally out grew it. One great kid I know came into his parents room about six each morning to snuggle and snooze an hour or so before school. It just set a better tone and mood for him. My theory is I am a parent even at two in the morning and my child knows it. If I am needed I am available.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• walk her back to her bedroom and have her climb back in bed and say I will stay here for a couple minutes and snuggle but then you have to promise me you will stay in your bed.  It worked for my 4 year old and we haven't had any problems except when it is thundering and lightening outside

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 15, 2011