I think the school should be held accountable, what do you think?

My son started school at the age of 4. He had never been in VPK or daycare so he was already behind the kids in Kindergarten. He was having a rough year with all subjects. He started getting picked on, called Stupid Stuttering Sabastian.

When I mentioned to the school that he had bad speech, not that it wasn't completely noticable, they said they didn't have the funds to put him in it, because it wasnt bad enough.... we're talking the speech of a 2 year old and he was 4 turning 5 and it wasn't bad enough.

Then because he acted out in the lunchroom the school princ. and the other attendance held him down forcing him on the floor....
They had then taken him to the office where my mother in law was going to pick him up...

When she got to the school they had told her that Sabastian had tried to jump the fence and get hit by a car because it would be easier than dealing with the school... yes he said that, straight from the schools mouth.

They tried to get her to sign a paper that said the school would not be responsible for anything that psychologist would find wrong with him if we took him to see some one for the behavior...

My mother in law is not a legal guardian nor is there to make the decisions of one, so she brings the paper home for me to read....

Bastian now has major problems with his self esteem, hates school and constantly has to be reminded that not everyone is out to get him...

I realize I am not giving you all the details but that would be a lot to write, but this seem like something that would be put on the school?

JenniferLynn3

Asked by JenniferLynn3 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm so sorry you came on here for help and every one is attacking you. I would talk to a DR. I know you're stressed. Don't listen to all these "perfect" mothers I'm sure you love your child and do the best you can with whaty you have. They think they're perfect but when they need help they will want understanding.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2011

• YOU are the parent. YOU are responsible for your child.

YOU knew before he went to school and YOU didn't get him service for speech. Now, he's having a hard time in school because he's getting picked on for his speech and you want to blame the school. Yes, there should be services for him in school. Yes the kids are picking on him. But what kind of parent KNOWS their child has a problem, but just sends them along to school without the intervention they need in the first place??? Then you want to put all the blame on the school and make them responsible for an evaluation?

I have a special needs child. The school is NOT responsible for all of his issues. He has to go to private therapy. School are NOT responsible for that.

Be a parent and do what you need to do for your child.

And yes, you might consider this nasty, but I have no respect for you sending a child to school knowing his issues. REALLY!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Just out of curiosity, what should the school be held accountable for?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm sorry, but why haven't YOU taken your son to your pediatrician to discuss your concerns and to obtain a referral to a Developmental Pediatrician, or Speech therapist?! If you had or do, then your son would have a been receiving the help he needs with his speech issues/stuttering, and a diagnosis, AND more importantly the school would HAVE to have given him an IEP (Individual Education Plan), and he WOULD be receiving speech therapy in school and specialized instruction and accommodations wherever else he needs. Schools are only responsible to provide an education, they are NOT able to diagnose, nor will they provide extra services without a diagnosis!

Now, you CAN and SHOULD still do this!! I would make an appointment immediately with your pediatrician, and go from there!! I am speaking as the mother of two autistic children who did not speak until age 4 (now 9 and 7), AND as a special education teacher. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't know what you think the school should be held accountable for.

If he was behind BEFORE he even started school, it was your responsibility. Even if he didn't go to preschool, you should have been teaching him at home.

If the school is unable to help him with his speech, you should have sought help elsewhere. I'm sure his dr. could refer him to a speech therapist.

The behavioral issues could stem from his frustrations. If he is acting out in school, you need to address the problems and work together with the teachers to help him adjust.

Sounds like you are trying to push off your responsibilities to the school so you don't have to deal with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• jenn4443

No, the kid is NOT all of their responsiblity while they are at school. If a child has mental health issues or needs behavioral health services, the parent needs to be responsible. If a parent does not get them the help they need, that is child neglect. The school can not get mental health services or behavioral health services for the child. Parents need to be parents, schools can not raise your children for you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• yes its the schools fault no one should be holding down a 4 year old they are not that strong or big
    personally i would get an attorney for the matter and tell him everything that happened and take your son to talk to some one so it can all be on record
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with the pp, You are his mother, the state will step in and help. You need to help your son, not just ignore the problem and hope it goes away. He should have had help when he was younger. Then when entering school he would not have been so far behind. Your poor son now has to deal with the abuse from other children because you did not help him.
    Anonymous

• I would not sign the paper either. I would take him to the Dr. & talk to him about it. See what your options are. Your Dr. could recommend that the school give him speech therapy.

I have never heard of a child that young being held down at school, does he have these freak outs at your house? Definitely go talk to your Dr. I'm sure your child has insurance right?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:19 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My DD's school has speech therapy available for anyone that needs it, her older sister (not my dd) went to the school speech therapist & she had never previously had any speech therapy, nor had been recommended by any Dr.'s. Her teacher recommended that she visit with the school speech therapist.

So, yeah.... a lot of good schools offer free speech therapy for kids who need it. Just saying, but if your school does not or can't...then you should look into ways to make that more possible for you, like a Dr.'s order...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2011