Creative Discipline Books?

I have an active 2 year old boy and expecting another boy. I do not spank and try to use creative and positive discipline as much as possible. I have read Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood and love it, but would like to read other creative discipline books to be as well rounded as possible. What books and systems do you like and use. Are there any specifically for boys?

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 2:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan is a good one.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Alfie Kohn - unconditional parenting.

www.uncondtionalparenting.com

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• P.E.T. and another one I like is Play Therapy by Virginia Axline. It is not a parenting book per se. It is actually for therapists. However, as both a parent and a therapist I use it as a parenting tool for special play time with my son. Anyone can do it, its not some magical secret thing that only trained experts can use, and the book is like a reciepe - it spells out exactly how to do it. The first chapter is REALLY boring because it gives the background, feel free to skip it, but it is still useful to know the philosophy. It works so well. I have taught parents how to have special play with their children and the benefits of using this method. Benefits: children feel you pay attention to them and that you LIKE your child, behavior improves overall, they learn how to communicate their feelings, improved speech, and better emotional health for the child. I love it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• The incredible years by Caroly Webster-Stratton Phd

How to raise an emotional Healthy Child by Gerald Newmark Phd
    This one is great for any relationship that you have! and the is a link with tools you can use on the website.
    http://emotionallyhealthychildren.com/

perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 4:11 PM on Nov. 23, 2008