8 year old seems to have a problem with taking things and getting into stuff (LONG)

She has gotten into her sister dresser taken her games out. she has gotten into my dresser taken things out. and her dad's. mp3 players, games. and even my change. i have punished her nothing seems to work. i explain to that you cannot go around getting into others stuff and take without permission. I am afraid she will do this at school or worse at a store. :( I cannot seem to get through to her. we bought the girls a game they had asked for a while back but the condition was you must do your chores to get them given to you. the chores are not done yet. so i told them i was putting them up until done. i caught her up playing it at 5 am yesterday. so she lost being able to get hers for a while and also was grounded etc. she also got her sister's out and tried to lie and say her sister did it. then the other day her sister came and asked for her own ds that dad had taken out of the room to make sure she was going to bed. i told her once she had taken care of responsibility of taking care of feeding the animals like she is susposed to then she could come back and ask. little sister grabbed it , did not think i seen and tried to sneak off with it. i called her out on it she tried to deny it , even as far as hiding it behind her back. when her sister came in she seen i had it and i told her how i got it. and she told me little sister said she would get it for her and she had told her no i want to get it the right way. by asking mom. i am at my wits end. I do not remember doing stuff like this. her older cousin who was here got kicked out of school last year for stealing. you think she would of learned that stealing or taking without permission however you want to take it gets you punished. now mind you this girl is smart. High A honor roll almost all year. right now it looks like A-B. but when it comes to this she thinks about what she wants not what is right or wrong. heck she cries and tries to blame her sister when she does something and i call her out on it and she will argue. yesterday her sister stepped in between us thinking her sister was going to hit me. I am like what in the world we did not raise you like this or to hit. The school thinks she is add but that would not explain this. she has always had issues with crying etc even as a baby. I love my kids and yes i know each child is different. but how do i get her to understand. she should know right from wrong

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if your having so many issues with her knowing right from wrong, you might want to talk to her doc. it could be something other than add. it seems like your punishing her for it and she isnt learning from it. A very smart child could still have disablity issues.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree, talk to her Dr about it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011