Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Question about stripped membranes...TMI. *Updated* adult content

I had my membranes stripped Thursday at the doctors to try to get me to go into labor naturally...My doctor says I shouldn't go full term with the baby because she is very very the point where I can hardly move there is so much weight on my hips and pelvis. Well since she stripped my membranes I have had a lot of mucus coming out..Do I call the doctors about it or is that normal after you have your membranes stripped?
I had it done with my last but I didn't have mucus like this coming out.

**I will be 39 weeks on Thursday..I had my membranes stripped at 38 weeks. This is my 3rd child and my other 2 were 8lbs. 12ozs, 9lbs....I was measuring full term at 36 out of concern she sent me in for an ultrasound and it said the baby was 9lbs. 7ozs.(and that was around 36 wks.) Due to my small frame she doesn't think I should wait until 40 weeks to have the baby because I go 1 week over (I did with both my boys) But there are also other reasons...I was severely anemic( I had to be hooked up to IVs. and have iron put in that way..Also my sinuses are swollen from being pregnant and it has gone to my ears( which has caused a slight hearing lose) and the hearing specialist has said the only way its going to go away is to have the baby and I have been dealing with this since about 28 weeks. Due to the baby being so big I can not lift my legs up or lay down in bed..I have to sleep in a recliner.

I am in severe pain everyday...I can hardly legs, ankles and feet are extremly swollen(I can't really wiggle my toes) and she doesn't want me to wait because of my anemia...If I wait and have to go in for a c-section it would be more dangerous for me because I could bleed out. I am probably twice the size I was with my 9lbs. baby and they checked and it is all baby.

And she does want me to go into natural labor..thats why she just stripped my membranes she said that maybe that would jump start labor. I won't take pitocin.....Thursday they are going to try a pill that is inserted every 4 hours to try to get contraction started...but if it doesn't work then I would take it as i am supposted to wait to have her.... Im not sure what she wants to do if the pills don't work but I won't let her do pitocin....unless there is a need to have it done.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

Answers (6)
  • no idea but here's a bump

    Answer by angelmommy11 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

  • I would call your doctor.

    Answer by ashley9603 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

  • yeah it's probly the mucus plug

    Answer by armywife43 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • I had mine stripped twice.... didn't work either time. and I would seriously question any doctor who doesn't want a pregnancy to go to term because a baby is "too big"

    at 36 weeks my ultrasound estimated my DS at 8 lbs 8oz.... he was born at 42 weeks weighing 7lbs 9oz.... if I had let them induce because of size I would have had a 5 lb baby!

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • I agree with peanutsmommy. How far along are you? It seems to me that the doctor would want your baby to develop as much as possible and deal with what comes up when you naturally go into labor. I think that'd be better than a dry birth which is horrible. Besides it sounds like the doctor isn't as sure about it because what could've been done is you go into the hospital, they strip the membranes & hang Pitocin. You'd definitely have the baby then.

    Answer by AlliPerry at 12:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • i agree with the others, let baby cook...

    Answer by asil at 3:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.