How does one GET thrush, anyway??

With my 1st girl she never got thrush. My 1 month old DD has it pretty bad, and now I have it because I'm nursing. (ouch!) She got Rx'd a medicine that I swab in her mouth (and on me too) but I heard the sugar in the medicine could make it worse. :{ Does anyone know how she may have gotten it in the 1st place?? Just want to prevent future occurrences.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know thrush is a yeast infection.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• If you or her has taken any antibiotics, she could have a low good bacteria count that has contributed to an over growth of yeast. The medicine that they gave you is very good for thrush . . . it will help her and you. Don't listen to those warning you against it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• my son got it when he was a baby and i was breast feeding too. I was told to be sure to wash my breast after each feeding because of any sweating.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yep, I know it's a yeast infection. Neither of us are on antibiotics... if I'm low on "good bacteria", maybe I should eat more yogurt for the probiotics!
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The docter told me that they can get it when there young becoude of the formula of breast milk. But suger can cause Trush in older babys even small kids. My dd got it when she was two, and my ds had it e was a newborn.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011