How to keep a baby healthy through flu season when they aren't old enough for the shot?

My baby is due Augest 9th so that is going into the flu season so the baby can't get the shot. By the time the baby is old enough to get one it will be March that is the end of the flu season almost. So first do I go ahead and get the shot in March or just wait until the next year? Also with 2 other kids one will be in 1st grade and the other will be 3.5 and I am trying to get her in preschool so I will have 2 kids possibly going to school and of course bringing home those things and they are in ballet so going there once a week around a bunch of kids how do you keep your child healthy when they are to young for the shot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Health

• Don't get the shot--they aren't safe for anyone--JMO

Otherwise just make sure that anyone that comes into contact with your baby is healthy. If you or your SO get sick stay away from baby or wear a mask. We did this and my DD had one cold and it was minor at 7 mos and that is b/c both Daddy and I were sick and someone had to care for her. Just make sure that everyone washers their hands and is healthy before coming into your home. I was the hand washing Nazi with my own and with a friends child. I was making people wash when they entered my room in the hospital.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Get the rest of the family members flu shots. Then practice good handwashing for EVERYONE that comes into the house. Have hand sanitizer for people to use BEFORE holding the baby. Use Lysol on hard surfaces..door handles,phones, etc. This is what my friend did, and he is a doctor. His son had brain cancer and this is what they followed while the son was going through treatments.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• The best way to not get the flu is to live a healthy lifestyle... NO ONE should get the shot! They have been proven to not work and have high amounts of heavy metals in them which cause cancer & brain disorders!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• BREASTFEED. Seriously. If baby's going to get sick, you can't prevent it, but breastfeeding will help soooo much, and will also lessen the duration & severity of anything baby does get.
    Anonymous

• To prevent your baby from geting the flu. You will have to prevent your other family members from geting it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• we get the shot every year. I started getting it when I was pregnant with my second. My DH started getting it about 2-3 years ago (he catches everything) with the shot my DH only got the flu 1 time and normally he gets it every year as much as 3-4 times. My girls are 3 and almost 6 and have gotten the shot since they were babies. My first was 6 months old. Her birthday is in April. My second got the shot at 9 months her birthday is in January. I get them every year and I getevery vaccination as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My dd was born in Feb in the middle basically of the flu season. In fact when she was born we brought her home and dh and my son had the flu they caught while coming to the hospital. My pediatrician told me the baby would be fine due to natural immunity she got from me & if I breastfed she also would have more from the colostrum. She did not catch the flu at all and no one obviously had the flu shot since my dh and ds were both sick with it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:37 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Well, of course you want to keep your baby away from crowds, stores, etc. during flu season. We had a heart baby and during the cold and flu season, we just had to keep him home. Keep sick people away from him, too.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We dont get the shot for any of our boys or ourselves, but we do practice good hand washing and cleaning with sanitizing wipes a lot.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• we dont get the shot or any shots for that matter but we just eat healthy, wash our hands, and i breast feed! my dd is one now and has only had one cold for 3 days!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 12, 2011