Do you have set amounts of time for video game play?

We don't. It depends on the kid and the day AND our PS3 is on the big TV in the family room so you can't hunker down for hours, SOMEONE will demand their own TV time. My kids also spend a lot of outside time plus the boys are on ball teams and my 7 yo cheers. They walk to friends houses to play (admittedly the 10 yo walks over to play video games a lot of the time)

Someone the other day said you arent parenting correctly if you dont set specific time limits on TV/Video game time. I say you need to stay involved and know what your kids are doing and go from there.

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well if you arent parenting correctly neither am I. My kids the same as yours have no set time, but they are busy with baseball, cheer, karate, gymnastics, weight lifting etc. My teen also works, goes to church and has friends to hang out with. I think being active in your kids lives and keeping them active is an important parenting skill. I find I stress much less then other moms whose kids dont do after school sports because their kids seem more reliant on TV and video games then mine. Mine like it, they have all the systems & hand helds but they dont use them as often as other kids I have known.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I set no time on his games he is running working out doing extra activities or with his girlfriend so when he is on the xbox is on Saturday like me he has one day a week off so as hard as he works and I work down time is well deserved.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• im a sahm who spend hours upon hours upon hours upon hours at playgrounds, beaches, and parks... my kids learned from early early on that real life was MUCH more fun than a video game. By the time we bought video games... maybe around 2nd grade they were more self monitored and we never had to place rules on them. They got a Wii a couple years back, I told my mom it was a waste of money but she really wanted to get it for the kids... I can probably count the number of times the kids have used it... and it was always at the request of a visiting child.

Kids simply have more fun playing REAL games... if you teach them young the joy of REAL life this is a non-issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I only set the time when they each want to play something different, or it's a one player game. That way they get equal time.
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 3:26 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My son is three and he plays the DS. He is only allowed an hour a day and it is usually when his brothers are napping. HE will also play when were at the doctor office
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:36 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My son is 7. He is allowed to play his games for 1 hour on school days, on the weekends or summer time, he's allowed to play twice. If I don't set a limit for him, he'd do it all day, I'd never see him. Video games can become addicting.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I have three girls ages 9,7 and 6 so we do the time limit thing to keep everyone playing the same amount to time to limit the fights around here.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:48 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Nope. Not at all. We have enough TVs to go around. If someone is using one and someone else wants to watch something else, they can just go to another TV. It's that simple. I don't see any reason to limit time or whatever... They aren't hurting anyone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• My 6 yr old is the only one who plays video games, the other 3 are too young to be interested yet. I dont let him play during the week and he had to earn time to play on the weekends and he can play as long as he wants on the weekends. I think it is up to the parent. I dont think there is a wrong way to go about limiting or not limiting time on games, but this way works for us.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We have a set amount of "screen time"/day - that includes tvs, movies, computer games. It's generally not a problem in the summer, but on cold rainy days it can be. My 11 yo has aspergers and he absolutely gets lost in video games and would play for hours if I let him, although he's just as happy outside playing basketball if he knows the video games are off limits.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Mar. 12, 2011