What can I say to a friend who recently had a miscarriage???

A close friend just told me she had a miscarriage and I am really at a loss for words. For anyone who has been though it is there anything I can say or do that might help???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• It's probably best not to say anything. Just go to her, and be with her. Your presence will be much more comforting than any words you could ever speak to her. Don't just stay away because you don't know what to say. She needs your company and from that, she will sense your understanding.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:07 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• That is a touchy subject. I agree with Nanny B tho.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:12 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Just say you are there for her if she wants anything. Everyone takes the news differently. A lot of times words of encouragement can unintentionally cause pain. In my case I was not trying to get pregnant but was excited to be. I kept hearing you can have another child and it will happen for you soon. As nice as that was I didn't want to try again, I just needed a moment to grieve and understand my feelings about the lost baby.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with NannyB. Be there to listen if she wants to talk. That can mean so much to someone.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:26 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Be there for her grief. Help her manage her duties for sometime. This is the best you can do....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:04 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Just give her love and an ear she can fill with her sorrows!
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 2:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I had a friend who had 3 during the course of about 4 years. It is a hard thing to talk about, but I just told her to call me anytime day or night to talk if she needed too. Just knowing someone is there for you helps. I just hugged her and told her I was there for her no matter what.
    MommyofL

Answer by MommyofL at 2:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I've been through a couple of miscarriages and I'm going to tell you straight up that the best thing you can do is just be there. No words are needed, but avoiding the person because you feel bad for them or because you don't know what to say only adds to the pain, whereas having someone come over just to hang out brings peace...much needed peace.
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 7:14 PM on Mar. 12, 2011