Why not work to fundraise the money rather than cry about lack of funds?

Local story

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-03-11/news/mc-schools-dual-enrollment-cut-20110311_1_dual-enrollment-college-courses-college-credit/2

We are going to see more and more of this kind of thing. A worthy program that there just isn't money for anymore. I would propose that the kids do just what I did when we were informed that there would be no funds for our senior trip.

Make money.

We sold snacks at lunch- made pizzas and sold them by the slice, car washes, all kinds of things. It was easy. (and actually a ridiculous amount of fun.) Why not have kids help pay for the programs?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I did that as well now I am going to make my own fundraising for my company.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree with you. They could do the work.

But they expect to have it handed to them, and now it's gone. Oh, woe is me! I've been denied something I'm entitled to. I've lost something someone else got. If they can get past that mentality, and if they really want it, they can raise the funds themselves.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• lack of funds...just raise money

Like th egovernment needs to...with 3%tax increase : )

AND stop spending

AND stop sending money to other countries for awhile

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:20 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• This is state level...And there's plenty of waste there, too. I just valued my trip so much more because I worked for it. plus it was my idea.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• When I was in HS this wasnt available, however we were free to take college courses in the summer & at night school while in HS. And well, I paid for it myself. Community college is really not that expensive so why cant these kids get help from family to pay for a class here and there?
    Yes they also could fund raise. My dd is in a private cheer company & we fund raise all the time to cover expenses. It isnt all that much work.

Answer by gemgem at 11:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• How do you want the kids from a poorer area to raise money to have dual enrolment? That is a great program that allows bright kids to get a start in college for free. That isn't whining. This is an important program, and important to our whole society that these kids have a chance at college. People should be angry about this and speaking out, those people shouldn't be called whiners, but concerned citizens.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• There isn't any money for these programs.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Alright, ladies, it's too nice to sit inside today, catch you all later!
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

I agree that you should do what you can to raise your own monney. But leaving poor people out of college does nothing to help our city / state / country

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:49 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I agree that you should do what you can to raise your own monney. But leaving poor people out of college does nothing to help our city / state / country
    --------------------------------

I don't think anyone read the article. There are other ways for the school districts to pay for the same result. They don't want to try to do things differently. As for the cost itself, it's 327 dollars per class. That's an EASY fundraiser. What we need is more of a can-do type attitude, and people to look for private citizens to sponsor them.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Mar. 12, 2011