Um Is it okay to tell your 3 year old to stay inside unless there is an emergency while you run out to your trailer to unpack a couple of things for lunch.

um yeah Single mom here, gotta take care of ourselves new to the area no babysitters around. etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't see the big deal. Like someone else said when we had a big house I went down in the basement to do laundry, gone for a good 20 minutes folding clothes sometimes leaving my kids to watch TV. They were toddlers at the time. Unless you don't trust your kid to just sit there and watch TV I don't see a problem. I've left them inside to go mow the lawn, shovel snow, clear out the car and pack before a trip. A 3yo should, in my opinion, be able to handle watching TV alone for a long while without getting into trouble.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• How far away is the trailer? Legally it might be different in each state, but in Maryland, that would be considered neglect if you can not see the house where your three yr old is.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i think so, as long as the child is in a safe area to do that in. just try not to take to long and tell the kid to sit down and give them a toy or something. i have to do that sometimes with ds when i need to ask my neighbor for something.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Okay but you should be back pretty fast. Keep coming back to see what the baby is doing...

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:28 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• People in two story houses, and huge homes with basements let their kids run all over the house all day long. I dont' see how that's that bad.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• How far is it from the house? If it's in the yard, I say he's old enough to stay in the house for a few minutes, assuming there's not anything in the house that's going to hurt him.

When my son was 3, I would leave him inside while I mowed the yard. Took about 10 minutes and i always made sure he wasn't hungry and had a drink and toys before going outside. Biggest issue I had was a spilled drink.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I've done it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• the trailer is like a few feet away maybe two carlengths and within view of the window.. and i only leave for about five mins
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• How far away is the trailer? And how long will you be gone? I'd check the state laws to make sure... I know where I live, you can't leave a 3 year old unattended in the house (they can be in another room in the house, but you have to be there).. And in a car, you can't leave them unattended either, even if you are just a few feet away (you have to actually be AT the car).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I dont want to take her with because she is a but and does love to explore so I dont trust her to stay close to me but she is like in love with the TV so usually I just turn that on and she turns into a zombieeeee and doesnt go further than the fridge O.o
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Mar. 12, 2011