Universal Studios Orlando

Looking for recommendations on cheap lodging

Are the meal bands worth it? I have 3 kids.

motherofhope98

Asked by motherofhope98 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Travel

• I personally don't find the meal plan to be very cost effective unless you plan on eating a lot. The restaurants that are under the meal plan don't open until lunch time, so it won't include breakfast or an early snack. We've eaten there paying normal price and added it up and it wasn't a better deal to us to do the plan. Now....they do have these drink bottles that you buy and can refill all day for 89 cents, that is worthwhile. We get one for the whole family to share and refill it plenty of times. We usually carry in a few drinks, but you are going to reach the point where you can't carry enough drinks for the whole day and you will run out, especially if it's hot. So getting 89 cent refills and a souvenir cup to boot is awesome, particularly when just getting a regular drink is more than $2.

There is an Amerisuites, just outside the gates. It might not be the absolute cheapest place, but it's nice.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• If you plan on eating alot at the park it 's worth it. I always ate before we left and threw a few snacks in my bag, and then we would share lunch. And eat dinner when we left the park. I just can't see spending all that money on shitty food. As for lodging, there are sooo many choices. I would check trip advisor and some online sites to see what are the best rates you can get for what you are looking for.
    If your really looking to save some money I would pack some of your own food to bring on the trip (pb&j, easy mac, granola bars) and find a hotel with a kitchen. You can save tons by bring snacks and making some of your own simple meals in the room.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I would rent a house, thats the only thing we do when we travel to Florida. It's much much better, Go to VRBO.COM its great!! Any questions please feel free to send me a message. And no, i dont get any thing for referring people but i wish i did! I love that site! lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• We are only staying for 3 days. All we need is a cheap motel. I've found several for $30/night.
    motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would not do the meal plan.. We have been to Universal several times.. we make sure the kids have a healthy breakfast before heading into the park.. Bring a water bottle..thats all you need to keep you going for awhile after that.. I think instead spend the money on the express pass...that way you don't spend half the day in line for the rides ..its well worth it.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 2:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011