Baby hives

My daughter had an ear infection and was put on amoxicillon. We think it gave her hives but we had also just started using liquid fabric softner as well. The doctor prescribed a steroid and I am terrified to give it to her. Please help ease my mind! Has anyone had to give their child steroids for hives? She is 9 months old. I got 3 different doctors opinions

Pips41009

Asked by Pips41009 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If that is what the doctor said then just do it. Hives are really uncomfortable.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:28 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yes, I would give it. What specifically are you afraid of? you can also ask a pharmacist about the specific dosage of the steroid. Hopefully, you have also changed antibiotics.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yeah I get hives when I get hot and I have to take Benadryl because I start wheezing. I am scared because the pharmacist said it could make her hyper and she needs to eat before I give it to her. Yes we stopped it as soon as we noticed the hives. They gave us a different antibiotic but her regular doctor said don't give it to her because the ears looked fine.
    He said that if the hives got worse to go ahead with the steroids. He was off the day she got diagnosed with them so I had never seen the dr that prescribed the steroids. That's why I got his opinion. I am just scared of the side effects. They don't seem to be bothering her but I don't want it to get to that point. She hasn't had any antibiotics since Tuesday at 6am so I would think it would be out of her system. I am just a scared first time mom.
    Pips41009

Comment by Pips41009 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Mar. 12, 2011