Is it ok if i give my 6-month old flavor yogurt ?

he has started eating solids for about a month now. sometimes the ready-made gerber food but mostly my homemade boiled rice and fresh veggies (also boiled), pureed to paste food. i was wondering if i could switch him to flavor yogurt.. not chocolate, but those strawberry/blueberry yoplait ones you get at the store. and ofcourse i am going to give him the chunk-free ones. so is that okay ? he's 6months (well almost 7months) old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got my son the gerber yogurts and the yo baby yogurt. He loved them and now that he is two he enjoys the adult cups, the kid ones are just loaded with sugar.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:43 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• i started giving it to my little girl when she was 5months old n she is totally fine, i think it would be fine, cos it is getting him ready then in 6months or more to be switched over to whole milk good luck
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Give your baby a lil yogurt only in the beginning. Add flavor at home. What you can do is roast two to three teaspoon of cumin seeds on a griddle. Crush it and add very lil, say a pinch of that and salt in curd. Your baby might love the flavored yogurt...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 12:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Check the sugar content, if using the pre-made stuff. many commercial brands are high in sugar- I'd opt for plain and add my own fresh fruit.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I did :) my girls are just fine.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Yep, I say go for it. :)
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• OP here: thank u so much for your advices. really helps. 2 days ago i was eating yoplait and he was looking at me eagerly so i gave him a tiny tiny nip. he went nuts !! lol. he absolutely loved it and wanted more. but i didnt give him any more afraid that it might be too cold for him. this is my first baby so i don't have the idea what to feed and what not to feed. i usually do what my pediatrician says. but his appointment isn't for another week so i thought i'll ask the experts themselves: the moms of cafemom !! :)
    so it's not too cold for him? it's fine if i give him the regular flavored yoplait (you are right about the gerber yogurts. i checked online and they have too much sugar in them)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• Gerber has the new baby ones and should be fine. yoguts should be fine as long as smooth and now chuncks of fruits. Even frozen yougat is could for them. My girls loved it. You should be fine with the yougat.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:56 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I don't see why not. I'd recommend it to Moms who had their six month old babies in my Water Tot classes I used to teach. The chlorine kills all the good and bad bacteria in the guts. Adding yogurt, with live cultures, to baby's diet will replace the good stuff and help prevent diarrhea.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:13 PM on Mar. 12, 2011

• I'm not sure. I didn't introduce yogurt until about 9-10 mos, and I believe that someone told me to wait until at least then. It was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure.

On another note, if you wanted to, you could skip the pureeing step, and just allow your LO to self feed the soft, small foods you're feeding her.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 12, 2011